Ngd

guitarslinger

Reaction score
Just took delivery on a Córdoba (Not Guild but at least our current mater familias) Fusion 14 Maple. Anyone here play nylon? (Silly question) Care to recommend strings for that guitar? (Serious question)

kdavid

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Congratulations on your NGD! it looks like quite the instrument curious how it sounds
awhile back i had the chance to play on some of Cordoba's instruments--classical & fusion guitars, ukes & a friend bought a guilele, had a Fishman UST installed & gigs with it. the instruments i played with all seemed well-made & sounded great.
my wife is now looking at a fusion guitar. im trying to steer her to a Cordoba :courage:
i see that Cordoba uses Savarez strings

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
i see that Cordoba uses Savarez strings
I really had to resist the temptation to make a joke about using D'Addario EJ-16's since I'm such a recognized fanatic about 'em, so thanks!
I am pleasantly surprised they're using what were my favorite brand back when all I had was a classical.
:friendly_wink:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
OK, I should probably just look this up, but what, pray tell, is a fusion guitar?
It's the opposite of a fission guitar.
OK, kidding aside, from Cordoba's web site, it's news to me too:
"The Jet belongs to Cordoba’s Fusion series, a line of high quality crossover or hybrid style nylon string guitars designed to play and feel like steel string acoustics. Most notably, the necks are carved thinner than traditional Spanish-style “classical” guitars and have a nut width of 48mm (1 7/8”). With the option of 12 or 14 frets to the body on most models, these slimmer dimensions combined with a radiused fingerboard give the Fusion series the feel and playability that most steel string and electric guitar players are used to. "

Somehow even with the revised dimensions they mention I really doubt it would feel like a steel string, to me at least.
There are things I can do on my D25 I could never do on any of the classicals I have (2 playable and one "future learning project"), because the string tension is just too low.
I have remarked however that my D25 is almost as easy to play as a true high-tension flamenco design but still has the "snap" of steel strings.

Last edited:

guitarslinger

Reaction score
Certainly not like an electric. Perhaps "electric-ish". The more narrow neck and radiused fretboard definitely make a difference. Much easier transition, and less fumble finger mistakes, when working the nylon into a live set. Just a different color in a musical paintbox. So far the guys in the band like it, as do I.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Certainly not like an electric. Perhaps "electric-ish". The more narrow neck and radiused fretboard definitely make a difference. Much easier transition, and less fumble finger mistakes, when working the nylon into a live set.
I'm certainly sympathetic to the concept, it's actually what Guild designed the F65ce to do, too, except for an electric-to-flattop transition.
Now I'm wondering if they applied those principles to the Paloma as well?
Sting was a fan:
sting_guitar_play_shirt_show_7834_1920x1080.jpg

Just a different color in a musical paintbox. So far the guys in the band like it, as do I.
Can't argue with that!

jim777

Reaction score
I would love to try out a few of these fusion type guitars. I'm really wanting to learn a few of Richard Smith's tunes and was thinking along the lines of a Multiac, but I haven't tried enough to even know the difference between the various types available (at decent prices, to boot).

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I play around with a Nylon sting Yamaha SLG 200N. I think I have Pro Arte "hard" high tension strings on it.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I almost got a Cordoba Nylon. I was leaning toward a GK Studio model, but the Fusion line was on my sites.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That is definitely some Gorgeous Maple Guitarslinger! I have been thinking about getting a nylon for awhile now but the regular nylon options seem to uncomfortable for me. I may look into something like this here in the near future.

Speaking of crossover style nylons, I remember watching the Carlos Santana HBO concert special a few years back when he was on his "Mi Corazon" tour. Carlos had his PRS around his neck and then switched to an Electric Solid Body looking Nylon that was mounted on a Stand so he could just reach over and play it without ever taking it off of the stand and then immediately switched back to his PRS. I can't find what guitar the electric nylon was but it sounded Amazing!

Hope you enjoy that Cordoba for years to come!

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Very pretty congrats :).

I heard that ! Can't a guy do drive bys to get caught up ? Haha