Return of the BR as my main dread...

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wood, you're rockin'! Sounds great!

thanks Chaz!
At times I have regretted selling the D35 and D50, and keeping the D25. However, in the end, I must have realized back then when I made the moves, the Br was the most versatile. Turned out to be right on!

Antney

Reaction score
I like the tone and the way you attack the strings. Not sure what your sc sounds like but the hog is all good. Often guitars that are easier to play are represented as such in the performance, not always a good thing. It sounds like your working to make the br sound honest. Nice job

Antney

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like the tone and the way you attack the strings. Not sure what your sc sounds like but the hog is all good. Often guitars that are easier to play are represented as such in the performance, not always a good thing. It sounds like your working to make the br sound honest. Nice job

Antney

honest is a great word here, man, thanks for that! the D25 is honest. It does not pretend to be a 2k guitar. it is a $500 dread, but at that price, many would be happy. I know I am. Lots of history me and this dread. It is impervious to my emotional instability.

kdavid

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
just a Wonderful sound! you said 'Honest', its a great word for it. the way the pick hits the strings & the way the chords ring out
Wonderful!
pretty good talent there too :distracted:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Excellent playing and great sound! Enjoyed it!

Excuse my ignorance but tell me what "BR" stands for?

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Excellent playing and great sound! Enjoyed it!

Excuse my ignorance but tell me what "BR" stands for?

walrus

I think it is Guild symbol for brown stain. Many if these early flat D25s had a BR after the 25. Right Hans?

Thanks walrus!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
just a Wonderful sound! you said 'Honest', its a great word for it. the way the pick hits the strings & the way the chords ring out
Wonderful!
pretty good talent there too :distracted:

Thanks for the kind words David. That is a 2.0 mm pick thickness. And I hold it sideways. Just something I got used to so my fingers are super close to strings and I get better grip. Of course the nail in my right index finger is shredded and is oft in pain. 😀

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ah, "Brown", thanks! Wow, a 2.0 pick on an acoustic - as Antney said, you "attack the strings"!

walrus

kdavid

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words David. That is a 2.0 mm pick thickness. And I hold it sideways. Just something I got used to so my fingers are super close to strings and I get better grip. Of course the nail in my right index finger is shredded and is oft in pain. 
ah-im practicing to stop doing that with my 1.0/1.0/1.4? picks ive been getting used to think i may need the index nail for fingerpicking im trying to learn
yah, thats a special sort of pain.
Dang you make it sound good tho

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
ah-im practicing to stop doing that with my 1.0/1.0/1.4? picks ive been getting used to think i may need the index nail for fingerpicking im trying to learn
yah, thats a special sort of pain.
Dang you make it sound good tho

It is the tip of nail. It just can't grow as I keep shaving it down against strings. It works. Funny though. I went with thicker puck to get a louder fuller sound out of the Guild. At some point I just got hooked on the 2.0. Between that and the EJ19s, this guitar projects well enough. Of course, it is not as powerful or deep as a forward shifted braced dread. But cuts thru mix well and sounds warmer with K&K mini. Really affordable, playable, fun, resonant, clear vintage tone arsenal and no preamp. Would love to snag an arched D25 one day to compare. Imagine that be louder.

I see you got a new M20. How you liking it?

kdavid

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Looks-wise its scored a 10 from day 1. Its very lightly built (esp compared to the F40 which has a D-tar) & beautifully built. im a big fan of the satin finish (esp the neck) & its got a deep, loud (esp for its size) sound all its own. The more i play it the more that 'new' plays out & its own tone sparkles & growls.
yah, i really like it. :joyous:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
It is the tip of nail. It just can't grow as I keep shaving it down against strings. It works.

I have this issue too. I play mainly with my fingers, using a pick only for hard/fast strumming. Even if I take a break from playing, as sometimes when traveling, the nail no longer forms normally as it grows. It feels more bendable than my other nails. Weird…

-Dave-

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wait a sec. You now prefer the guitar you spurned for the boutique dread?

correct.
my most recent epiphany.
the cruz is too boomy ad warm, and i prefer the clarity of the BR, as i get older.
my next guitar will be a D25 arched back.
Nic now has the Cruz. it's a great guitar, dont get me wrong.

Reaction score
Nice playing. Sounds like a great strumming guitar as evidenced by the clear strong bass. Many guitars could not handle that heavy strumming.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice playing. Sounds like a great strumming guitar as evidenced by the clear strong bass. Many guitars could not handle that heavy strumming.

thanks George. I think the D'Addario EJ 19s help, the top strings medium gauge.