Your earliest musical memories?

dougdnh

Reaction score
I'm 71, so it looks like I'm not the oldest, but maybe in the top 5? i played my first gig in '61 - we were a bunch of kids playing things like Beer Barrel Polka and Let Me Call You Sweetheart. Night Train was one of our rock tunes. Back then rock and roll was still considered 'kids music' so at adult gigs we played a lot of standards from our fake books.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well I posted in this thread before it turned into the "Post Your Age" thread, so I'll add the I've been on this Earth for 58 years.

(Damn that looks old in print!)

CA-35

Reaction score
Well I posted in this thread before it turned into the "Post Your Age" thread, so I'll add the I've been on this Earth for 58 years.
(Damn that looks old in print!)

I posted also, but just for the halibut I have been on this rock for 56 years. With the high's and the low's it's still been a blast.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There were times I didn't think I'd make it this far and sometimes I'm not sure I'm glad I did.
Boy, this kinda sums it up for me. Life is a mixed bag, but I'm finding that older is better (emotionally) and sucks a$$ (physically) but all in all, I think I'm okay with it. I'll let you know at the end.... :encouragement:

p.s. - the red wine makes everything a whole lot better!!

p.p.s. - Happy Belated Birthday, Al.

p.p.p.s. - Pascal, I'll get to you in a few days.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
61 last Friday.
There were times I didn't think I'd make it this far and sometimes I'm not sure I'm glad I did.
Boy, this kinda sums it up for me. Life is a mixed bag, but I'm finding that older is better (emotionally) and sucks a$$ (physically) but all in all, I think I'm okay with it.
That I made it this long or that you made it this long?
:confused-new:
(you guys're slippin')
Al happy belated birthday.....Have a nice cold glass of milk.
That means a lot coming from you, Scott.
Experimental epicurean that I am, I think I'll see if I can come up with a mayonnaise milkshake and name it in your honor.
Oherwise I guess it'll have to be a blood pudding.

:eagerness:

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
50, recent milestone met! Looking forward to 60.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oherwise I guess it'll have to be a blood pudding.
Known as "Boudin noir" in the land of bovine projectiles. Love it. (With Amora mustard of course)

Ohh... and we're ALL very happy that you made it this long. Right guys? Right?

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ah, you guys are lucky, you are soooo well preserved for your ages...then there is me, falling apart bit by bit, year by year...

Kurt: Ring up Guildman63, I am sure he would LOVE to play jazz with you...but look out, he's hot!

Krysh: On one of our trips to Finland in the late 70's/early 80's, Boney M was all the rage, did they do some Christmas song?
They were on TV all the time and relatives were surprised we didn't know about them.

I have Red River Rock in front of me...Warwick M-509, B/W "Buckeye" also "Carribean" by Mitchell Torok, Guyden Records 2018 and of course "Heartaches By The Number" (...a love that I can't win, the day that I stop countin,' is the day my world will end) by Guy Mitchell on Columbia 4-41476.

Wanna feel older? I have Minnie The Moocher by Cab Calloway on Bell 1006A, which is a 45 rpm size record that is 78 rpm...don't think I ever heard this song until the Blues Brothers first movie, but knew exactly where the record was in my parent's house! Somehow I managed to get it when the Great Cleanup was undertaken...not much else :uncomfortableness:

Pascal: Relatives tried to feed me "black sausage" in Finland during our first visit...about the time a piece was going into my mouth,
Sirkku's 16-year-old niece, horrified, blurts out what it is...kind of got it down, but the rest stayed on my plate, to everyone's amusement. Then they went on to say how they used to go to the butcher with buckets...:nightmare:

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Pascal: Relatives tried to feed me "black sausage" in Finland during our first visit...about the time a piece was going into my mouth,
Sirkku's 16-year-old niece, horrified, blurts out what it is...kind of got it down, but the rest stayed on my plate, to everyone's amusement. Then they went on to say how they used to go to the butcher with buckets...:nightmare:

Hey Bill! Don't complain about age effect on your body if you refuse to eat the right stuff!!
Studies have shown that people eating boudin noir (black sausage) have a much faster hair growth as well as are less prone to hair loss than those who don't. (Lots of iron in the stuff!) :teapot:

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
So - allow me to catch up in no particular order - 64 on the clock come September - Mayonnaise is for sandwiches (not sure if those nor'easter lobster rolls count as a sandwich) - Lobster goes steamed with a touch of butter - early music covers everything from the predecessor to the CBS masterworks as a series of symphonys and orchestral works to the proverbial Andy Williams, Harry Belefonte, Montivani, sons of the pioneers and more. AM radio in the early '60's brought the top 40's with Elvis, Ricky Nelson, Bobby's (Vinton, Vee, Rydell) and of course the Beatles ..... the rest as they say is history..... :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Studies have shown that people eating boudin noir (black sausage) have a much faster hair growth as well as are less prone to hair loss than those who don't. (Lots of iron in the stuff!) :teapot:

Could that explain the recent fuzziness I've noticed on my palms?
When I try to look at 'em closely I realize my vision's not what it used to be.