1981 Guild S300 Review

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's my write-up of the 1981 Guild S300 I got from pj29 in a trade.

Spoiler - I love this thing! :biggrin-new:

http://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/03/26/1981-guild-s300/

1981-Guild-S300-TopFull.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just counted - this is my 16th Guild review! And that's not even counting the stuff about pickups or the comparison articles.

The good news is that I've got at least two more in the pipeline and am always on the lookout for more to do. You know, as opposed to actually working.

Zelja

Reaction score
Great write up, GAD! I would love one of these (or an S70, S60 ( 2 x SCs) or S60 (1 x HB-1) but the neck width is always a concern, though I do tolerate it on my 70s S100s. Still hoping I could find one with a 43mm (1 11/16") neck but that looks unlikely.

Do you think most of the S300s have a deeper neck or is that just what your particular one has? I know the neck profiles on all my S100s are a bit different.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just counted - this is my 16th Guild review! And that's not even counting the stuff about pickups or the comparison articles.

The good news is that I've got at least two more in the pipeline and am always on the lookout for more to do. You know, as opposed to actually working.

Do I see a book in the works?

"Guilds I have fondled"

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Do I see a book in the works?

"Guilds I have fondled"

LOL - I'm not sure there would be a huge market for that though I've not been one to chase market share. :)

Or better yet, a collaboration - The Best of Grot's Guild's curated by GAD.

I like that!

How about Grot's Guilds by GAD. With some Gruhn Nightbirds it could be Grot's GG Guilds by GAD: GGGGbG

I dig the "Best of Grot's Guilds", though. The problem is they're all the best!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great write up, GAD! I would love one of these (or an S70, S60 ( 2 x SCs) or S60 (1 x HB-1) but the neck width is always a concern, though I do tolerate it on my 70s S100s. Still hoping I could find one with a 43mm (1 11/16") neck but that looks unlikely.

Do you think most of the S300s have a deeper neck or is that just what your particular one has? I know the neck profiles on all my S100s are a bit different.

I've owned four and they all had very similar necks. When I had the '70s Starfires I couldn't bond with the necks at all and discovered that though they were the exact same width, the S300's neck was 1mm deeper at the nut and that made all the difference. I've not played a '70s S100 so I can't compare them to those.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
wow, wicked thorough review, even for people who live outside of boston!
great stuff and thanks for including sound examples.
sounds like the S300 covers a lot of ground. quite versatile.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
wow, wicked thorough review, even for people who live outside of boston!
great stuff and thanks for including sound examples.
sounds like the S300 covers a lot of ground. quite versatile.

Thanks! For people inside Boston, that would be wicked awesome (parents grew up in Lynne)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks! For people inside Boston, that would be wicked awesome (parents grew up in Lynne)

sweet, I was born in Winchester. I know Lynne a bit, used to work near there, forget name of town by now :)

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
To quote a Batman movie: "If you're good at something, never do it for free".

Your reviews are so fantastic that I think you should send a few writing samples to the top guitar magazines to see if you get a bite. While it is true that getting paid to write is very difficult these days, there are still publishers out there who are willing to pay money for good content. It could even mean free (or "paid for") gear!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
To quote a Batman movie: "If you're good at something, never do it for free".

Your reviews are so fantastic that I think you should send a few writing samples to the top guitar magazines to see if you get a bite. While it is true that getting paid to write is very difficult these days, there are still publishers out there who are willing to pay money for good content. It could even mean free (or "paid for") gear!

Thanks!

I get paid well doing my real job and writing for free means no deadlines. I have a paid writing gig on the side with deadlines and they take the fun right out of it.

Maybe if and when I retire. :)