Yep...I Bought It!

gilded

Reaction score
jed, I remember that guitar. I wanted it. The cool thing to me is that the '70s neck may well measure 1 11/16th inches at the nut, which would be a welcome surprise for most of us old guys that like bigger necks in our dotage!

The way I remember the ad is that is said the neck could benefit from a re-set. I think I would have my luthier-repair person look at it right away and make a determination about whether the way the '70s neck was installed would lend itself to re-removal, so the neck could be properly angled.

In other words, have your repair-guy look at it and see if the '70s neck was put in with epoxy or some other glue that's really, really hard to remove. If it is, you might think about shipping it back to the Seller. Wasn't the seller Chicago Musical Instruments, the company that owns reverb.com?

Hope you keep it and make it a great player, Harry/gilded

jedzep

Reaction score
Big thanks, Harry. Glad you focused in on the neck replacement, as I received pics of the joint which seemed 'glue-y', but I'm hoping it is due to the cam flash. I'll take your suggestion and rush it in for a look-see if I can't determine the work quality here. With a 3-day return window, Chicago Mus doesn't let you nap over the decision, but I think I could dicker. I'm encouraged by the message from a CME employee that let me know how bummed out he was that I got to it just before he did. On the other hand I wasn't impressed by the extent of detailed technical info I received in response to my questions. They were rather general details until pressed.

Anyway...it's just another thing to make my day more worrisome.

Last edited:

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Good luck, jed! Worst that can happen is, that you send it right back. Certainly worth the chance to get it in your hands first.

gilded

Reaction score
That guitar was for sale several months ago from the same concern. Then it was sold. Then it came back and you bought it.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Weird behavior re. this Reverb listing. I found the CME link via Google search but it takes me to the same generic Reverb page as the link(s) provided here. Usually old links for sold instruments take you to the whole enchilada, pics included. I'm logged into Reverb too. Maybe a link goofup on Reverb's part. ??

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Weird behavior re. this Reverb listing. I found the CME link via Google search but it takes me to the same generic Reverb page as the link(s) provided here. Usually old links for sold instruments take you to the whole enchilada, pics included. I'm logged into Reverb too. Maybe a link goofup on Reverb's part. ??

-Dave-

WE traded a coupla pm's about it, suspect it's actually discontinued browser support for old versions of Windows.
What do you run?
It does seem logical that they'd place no importance on providing "full viewability" of items no longer available for sale, and not bothering to update old browsers/OS's fits right in with that.

jedzep

Reaction score
Good to know, Harry. Not everyone can handle rehabbing, especially if they're expecting to have an in-hand player right out of the case, but I have to be ready for the possibility that it's a dog.

Last edited:

jedzep

Reaction score
Good luck, jed! Worst that can happen is, that you send it right back. Certainly worth the chance to get it in your hands first.
That's a big part of my rationale. I'm not afraid of fine instruments that are fixer-uppers. In fact, that's all I own.

jedzep

Reaction score
That guitar was for sale several months ago from the same concern. Then it was sold. Then it came back and you bought it.

Oi Vey! I awoke to an email from Reverb saying the guitar is back in stock and relisted. Someone had better tell the UPS driver. It's been a weird transaction. The guitar arrives on Tues. I hope.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
WE traded a coupla pm's about it, suspect it's actually discontinued browser support for old versions of Windows.
What do you run?

I do all my interweb stuff on my iPad. iOS Safari, current version. All the other old Reverb links I've clicked (well, tapped) on recently have worked as expected. ??

-Dave-

jedzep

Reaction score
At under $600, if it is at all playable, I'd say you stole it.

I'm thinking...

Here's the pic that worries me.
riuixwb1ifbq7xleh1g6_zpsi4rkvbzx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sorry, I have to work on re-sizing. Looks like a little glue 'ooze'.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I do all my interweb stuff on my iPad. iOS Safari, current version. All the other old Reverb links I've clicked (well, tapped) on recently have worked as expected. ??

-Dave-

In fact, this morning I noticed the F50R in mentioned in another thread still showed all the original listing pics, too.
I'm thinking there's definitely something jinxed about this listing, given the additional reports of multiple sales/returns and email from Reverb saying "It's B-a-a-ck...".
Jed I'm wondering if this is some kind of bug on Reverb's site, and that the guitar's not actually available but keeps going through an endless re-listing loop?
And no the pic of that heel looks a lot worse than glue ooze to me.
Looks like somebody's attempt to put a strap peg in the bottom of the heel went seriously wrong, looks separated.
Maybe an impact on that peg pushed the heel off the body?

Last edited:

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like somebody's attempt to put a strap peg in the bottom of the heel went seriously wrong, looks separated.
Maybe an impact on that peg pushed the heel off the body?

Obviously the length of the heel on the seventies neck, is a bit shorter, and I would suppose that would make it look pretty ugly down there.

jedzep

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. A lot of questions should be answered tomorrow when the ol' brown box truck rolls up the drive. I'm wondering if it will be a situation where I open the case, pick it up, flip it over a few times, put it back in the case and schedule a pick up. That'll just wreck my week. On the other hand, there's a chance the restoration will get right off the ground there and then. I don't know how to tell, however, whether it has been glued with incorrect stubborn adhesive.

I did get an instant response about the odd 'relisted' email. It was indeed a glitch and the listing was pulled right off. I think what bothers me most is the lack of specific details in the original listing...descriptions that I would have included were I selling a 'rescue'. That phrase 'this could benefit greatly from a neck reset' got my attention, especially since the string height is perfectly playable. I expect that will be job 1, should I keep it. As I've said, I have a terrific Mom/Pop music shop with good quality under priced luthier services.

I so really really want this little guitar to work out well. Maybe I can break the jinx.
If it has good voice I'll obviously be more prone to go forward. Stress.

On the marketing end, in nice condition 60's F20's are listing close to 2Gs, so I have some decent leeway for value after restoration, despite the newer (wider nut) neck. I dumped my old M20's because of narrow string spacing, so the transplant could be a beneficial one.

How's that for rationalizing?

Last edited:

jedzep

Reaction score
OK, everything's good. The strings were so dead I thought the guitar was a dud. The poorly cut bogus pick guard peeled up off the oversprayed top with a credit card edge and some gentle pulling. Glue came off with some 'Goof Off' and soft cloth. Then I buffed it with super fine steel wool to an even satin gloss. The saddle was sloppy loose and leaning hard enough on the inner edge of the bridge slot wall to cause an early stage hairline crack, which I filled with a schmear of Titebond hide glue. While that dried I cut a decent saddle out of a bone blank and polished it off with a rounded beveled edge. Then I poured a stiff drink, Tito's, lime and seltzer, and stared at the beast for several minutes. The saddle fit just snug, the Dunlop 80/20 12's went on, the tuners worked smoothly tightened to DGCFAD, and dang if it don't sound like a million bucks. The neck to body thing is a little messy, but tight. AG-3036 on the block and label. I might need a 60's Guild bridge in the future. Any chance of finding that?

Another drink. Thanks for all the info, warnings, and support. It still needs a visit to the doctor for back crack repairs, but at least we're up and running, and more importantly, not re-boxing it. I'll be picking for most of the evening.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Obviously the length of the heel on the seventies neck, is a bit shorter, and I would suppose that would make it look pretty ugly down there.

Interestingly, when I was digging through old Guild subforum posts in the Fender Forum archives a couple of weeks back, I stumbled across an old one from Hans wherein he mentioned that the heel depth was related to whether the neck was long or shortscale, but I suspect now that only applies to a certain era, up to end of '70's, maybe, because we've seen the "flat" and "round" heel contours on dreads since then, "IIRC".
Now I wonder if it might also be partly a function of body depth:
If all necks start off with a "long heel", then a shallower body might get a heel that's cut a little higher up the arch and thus be a little "rounder"?

Last edited:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sounds like a keeper... enjoy!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I might need a 60's Guild bridge in the future. Any chance of finding that?
Wow, just the backstory's enough to want to make it a keeper.
Do we have to suggest Hans as first place to check for a gin-u-wine bridge?
Barring that I bet he could provide specs/footprint drawing to get one made.
Keep us posted!

jedzep

Reaction score
Right. I forgot about ol' Hans. He has hooked me up before and will eventually read this. Consider this a request for any vintage bridge leads, Hans. I do have a couple of old growth BRW bridge blanks so a footprint would be a great option. Maybe this puppy will hold now that it has the side pressure removed. I lowered the action a little via the saddle profile and was giddy to hear it didn't lose any thump or chime.

A good day!