Anyone familiar with Thalia Capos?

F312

Reaction score
All the reviews say how beautiful they are but not much about functionality.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mostly I notice their price tag!! Them is some EXPENSIVE capos!! I just bought another Shubb. A black one. That's four I have now. $10. :encouragement:

F312

Reaction score
That's what I have the Shubb ,one for 6 string and one for 12 string and happy with them.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I generally try to avoid paying top dollar for an item that's likely to be lost under the couch or forgotten at band practice only to become someone else's favorite item that they never paid for.

Those are pretty cool, though.

wileypickett

Reaction score
They are a boutique item for sure.

I bought a used Mach 1 version, but it requires the strength of King Kong to put on and take off, though you are supposed to leave it on the neck once it's on and just slide it down below the nut when not capoing.

The Mach 2 version is supposed to be much easier to use, but I haven't made the leap. (I only buy capos anyway so I can cut them up and make partial capos out of them.)

In the plus category, they make interchangeable pads to take into account different neck radii. They also make pads of different material which is useful. One is very hard, the other has more give to it, which makes it preferable for use on a 12-string, where you have thick and thin strings right next to each other.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
All the reviews say how beautiful they are but not much about functionality.
I have more than one of them, including the latest 200 series. They *are* pretty, and they are heavy (I suppose I am saying they are pretty heavy - ;~}).

In theory, with all the detachable pad combinations, they have covered every conceivable scenario, neck radius, 6 and 12 string, etc. Unfortunately, in actual use, I have not found them to be consistently effective. On several guitars having necks ranging from 12" to 20" radii, whether 6 or 12 string, they simply don't hold the strings down tightly enough to avoid buzzing. As lovely as they are, I cannot recommend them.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Elliott capos, though expensive are well made, look good and come with different thickness pads you can slide on and off with the help of a hairdryer. They will send you extra pads as you need them. I use the same capo for 6 and 12 string, keeping the thicker, softer pad on all the time. Made out of stainless steel, so it never tarnishes. You can have your name engraved on it too, if you're vain like me.:tranquillity:

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Elliott capos...
I'm with you, Rich. The Elliott capo's are right up there with the best of the best, and those are the so-called "yoke" style capo's. Along with a couple of choices from Elliott, Shubb offers the FineTune model, and Paige has several (inexpensive) versions.

My favorite is the G7th Heritage, which incorporates (for the first time, ever) an ingenious technology into the pad, itself, that allows the capo to perfectly distribute pressure across the fretboard regardless of radii or string gauge! Spendy, but effective. Buzz-free and consistently effective!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Talk about EXPENSIVE!! Elliot guitar capos range from $99 to $235!! They seem rather complicated. It looks like a torture device. So, I'll stick with my $10 Shubb....... Quick, easy, adjustable, affordable.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
...I'll stick with my $10 Shubb....... Quick, easy, adjustable, affordable.
Why pay less when you can pay more? And be perfectly happy with your purchase? Did you miss the part where you can get personalized engraving? Party pooper! :playful:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Somehow, I don't know how, I'm with both you guys! I already got an Elliott, now will buy the Schub and Paige to try them out. Plus the G? What was that brand. No problem, I'll go find it after I "reply".

F312

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all your input, much appreciated.
Ralph

Reaction score
I agree. I have one for my 2011 GSRF30 Maple and one for my 2012 F512.. Cannot go wrong with Shubb.

Reaction score
Count me as a Shubb guy too! I have 4 of them. But where on earth do you get them for only 10.00??? I have both styles...with the little wheel on it and with the rubber tip thing. Both work great.
And I have a few Dunlops that I love! The big brass one with the tightening wheel and a Johnny Cash Tribute one as well.

I just like the ones where I set the tension, not some spring.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
RR, my bad. That was a typo. The last two Shubbs (black ones) I got for $20 each on the Strings & Beyond website. Still a great price! That's where I buy all my strings too. Great place to shop and excellent customer service.