Show me your favorite NON-Guild guitar!

Zelja

Reaction score
It is a Teye. The "Mood" knob works with all the settings. It's really useful and changes the sound of the guitar quite a bit but never gets muddy as when you completely roll off a tone control.
Thanks. does it sound like a bass roll off & do you lose a bit of volume when engaged? I wonder if it is an inductor in parallel with the pickups (brought into the circuit when the pot is turned down) rather than a capacitor making a high pass filter? Any idea on the pot value & whether it is a no load pot? Too many questions I know, cause to the player if it sounds good, who cares! It's just I have heard it is pretty effective so am interested in finding out how he does it.

guitarslinger

Reaction score
OK, doing my best here and answering in order of your questions. 1) I don't know. 2) I'll get back to you on that. 3) Huh?
I've seen "What is it?" described somewhere so the information is out there. I'm just not a tech guy at all. I've heard that it's gooped but the fact that I've never even looked tells you something. What I can answer is this: there is a bit of a volume in positions 2 & 4 with the switching but no roll off in volume using the knob. The sounds it gets range from more single coil-ish (especially in positions 2 & 4) to a cocked wah (Can I say that here?) sound. I also know he has replaced the "Mood" knob with a "Mojo" knob on his newer guitars. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

merlin6666

Reaction score
My current favourite guitar would be my Adamas 1687 30th Anniversary Re-Issue. Although it is super heavy, it's just so easy to play and the only guitar I enjoy fingerpicking. Right now it does not get much play as I prefer alternating the Orpheums this winter, but once I get into the short sleeves this will probably be out on the stand for easy reach to be played indoor and outdoors.

1687-8_Adamas_I_Reissue_3.jpg

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow, some beautiful guitars posted here. The '53 tele sent shivers up my spine. A couple of nice D-18's too. I worked in a music store that sold Martins back in the '90's; the best one by far was a first year DV-18. I'm not an accoustic guy, but I'm still kicking myself for not buying that guitar.
Here's my #1 for the past 45 years. 1969 Deluxe.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
My favourite other guitar is probably this 1980 Ibanez Artist. Got for an absolute steal & put in a TV Jones Classic Plus in the bridge & it mates superbly with the Ibanez Super 70 in the neck. The Super 70 in the bridge was good too but I seem to get a bit more volume out of the TV Jones & it is a great sounding pickup.

Oooh, neato! The Super 70 is the Ibanez-branded version of the Maxon U-1000*, my current fav Gibson-style HB pickup. It was discontinued in early/mid-1982 when Maxon got out of the pickup-making biz. A shame IMO…

E04D7780-12A5-48AB-A804-CF33552E925E_zps6wowcgir.jpg

One of my recent Japanese acquisitions is an '82 AR-300, part of the Artist series. Basically a doublecut LP, and far closer in build & materials to an LP than the earlier cosmetic copies Gibson objected to.

-Dave-

*Some of the late U-1000s use ceramic magnets rather than AlNiCo 8s. Not sure when this change happened.

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Holy crap Dennis!!!!!! You almost made me throw up (of jealousy that is) with that 69.
Please send it to me. Now.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, some beautiful guitars posted here. The '53 tele sent shivers up my spine. A couple of nice D-18's too. I worked in a music store that sold Martins back in the '90's; the best one by far was a first year DV-18. I'm not an accoustic guy, but I'm still kicking myself for not buying that guitar.
Here's my #1 for the past 45 years. 1969 Deluxe.

Sweet cats! Whatever Bluespicky is offering (zero, it would seem) I'll double it!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
This is my most treasured guitar. It belonged to my friend V, who bequeathed it to me in her will. (I'd had it on long-term loan.) Her dad bought it new in 1973, and soon afterward had Gibson swap the trapeze for a stoptail. It plays lovely and has a deep & warm sound, with just enough snap to cut through when needed.

8B46BB53-F9F5-4170-9009-41C641393070_zpsclgssmfh.jpg

-Dave-

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Bluespicky, you will have to pry that guitar from my cold, dead fingers. It ain't going anywhere!

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice to see an Adamas in the list . I've always wanted one, but I have found them hard to find to even play. There was a shallow body one at my local GC, but it was not designed to ply NOT plugged in, and just didn't grab me. I want a deep body one to try !