Website needs SSL

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Unsecure connection?

Is anyone else getting little warning flags dropped down from their sign in that the connection is not secure and warning against password theft?

I am using some version of Firefox...

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bill,

It's due to an update to Firefox. Any web site you visit that is not "https://....." will probably have those messages. I suppose there may be a security setting in the browser to turn off notifications.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I saw it earlier today using Firefox in Linux. Nothing this evening with Chrome, though.

griehund

Reaction score
MacBook Pro with Firefox: after I cleared my cache and cookies LTG no longer remembers my user name and password. I have to reenter both every time I sign in.

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
Hi all,

LTG needs to get an SSL certificate and update the website to use it. I know it is extra cost but browsers are now warning about it and soon Chrome will not even give access to a site that is using SSL even for regular pages let alone password pages. Just a thought! if you need help with installing the certificate let me know.

Mark

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
First off, I think the browsers forcing SSL is disgusting.

Second, the site can use a self-signed cert that won't cost anything.

Thirdly, I know you're heart's in the right place, but the tone of your message was a bit condescending and harsh.

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
My message was no where near condescending and in fact, I offered my help. **** I would even pay for a cert for the 1st year.
Also, self signed certs will give errors in browsers and they are worthless beyond testing.
I agree with the forcing of SSL by (at least) Chrome, rather a warning such as other browsers give should suffice.

I simply tried to give a heads up to the site owner(s)

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Firefox upgrade now informs folks if they are entering anything it thinks is a username/password and then submitting it over an insecure connection.

I'm going to merge this thread with another one, now that the issue has been identified.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
It showed up for me when I upgraded to Firefox 52.0.2 (32 bit). If you are not running Firefox or running an older version then I don't expect you to see it. But it is real and it is happening to some people and this is not the only site on the internet where people are seeing the messages.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
This "always on SSL" initiative is disgusting. I run 10+ websites, none of which need SSL. I don't want SSL. I hate certificates and I don't think they come close to solving the problem for which they were intended. Don't even get me started on the certificate authority game.

Grumble.

297.png

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not seen those, but using Firefox less and less due to more and more issues here and there with error messages such as warning about unresponsive scripts among others due to a lack of browser available updates.
While on the browser topic, question for the experts: Which is the best, fastest, safest browser today, for use on PC/Windows 10?
I have found that Chrome worked better than Firefox for a while, but it seems that the Microsoft Edge browser is topping them all these days? Please tell me why I am wrong.