Chuck

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Been a huge Chuck fan since I was a teenager. When I turned 18, still the legal drinking age then, the first legal alcohol I bought was a bottle of rum. 'Cuz…Havana Moon, of course!

Me lay down alone
was good de rum
me fall asleep
de boat she come
de girl she look
'til come de dawn
she weep and cry
return for home
de whistle blow
me open me eyes
was bright de sun
was blue de sky
me grab me shoes
me jump and run
me see de boat
head for horizon

The true King of R&R for sure.

-Dave-

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Here he is on the Mike Douglas Show in 1972 with John Lennon (when Lennon spent the week as a guest host with Yoko). Around 2:00, watch his face as Yoko does a quick banshee scream during "Memphis"! Then, at around 5:35, she tries it again on "Johnny B. Goode", but it looks like someone shut her mike off!

I don't mind Yoko, but this was not the time for her to do her "thing"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbGuxGGOIV0

walrus

Reaction score
I had a chance to get to know Chuck. In the early eighties my room mates band was recording a single a Berryland with Chuck producing. I called from L.A. to talk to my room mate. Chucked answered and said he was not there, but since I had to pay the first three minutes of the call what did I want to talk about!Later in L.A. a spent a night at the Whiskey in a booth hanging out with Chuck with 3 blonde sister's watching the band The Kingbees's a rockabilly band. Weeks later I spent a night with the youngest blonde sister in Hollywood on Fountain Blvd and the doorbell rang at 9 AM. It was Chuck dressed in work cloths, he was the landlord and was there to fix a kitchen plumbing problem.I also did lights at concerts for him twice, one a Terminal Island Prison where he had do a concert.

Hail Hail Rock n Roll

Rest in a rocking heaven Chuck!

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
…the doorbell rang at 9 AM. It was Chuck dressed in work cloths, he was the landlord and was there to fix a kitchen plumbing problem.

Heh, from what I've read about Chuck Berry this fits right in. Marched to his own beat for sure.

BTW, you seem to have led an interesting life yourself, Rick! :)

-Dave-

Zelja

Reaction score
Been listening to him the last few days. What more to say? He changed the music world as we know it & certainly left his mark. Legendary songwriter, guitarist, performer, entertainer. He lived a varied and interesting life!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
BTW, if y'all haven't heard CB's cover of Route 66, do check it out as it's right in his wheelhouse.

And I'll meet you
On Route 62

:)

-Dave-

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
We honored Chuck at our gig last night. We did a Chuck song every set. (Actually we could have done a whole "Chuck" set of just his hits couldn't we?)

We played Maybellene, No Money Down, and Carol. (We were going to play Johnny B. but somebody played it on the juke box between sets!)

Woo, Hoo! I'm quoting myself! (That's got to be all kinds of wrong!)

So we did some live facebook streaming of the gig last Saturday night. Maybellene starts at 9:15:

A few Notes/Disclaimers:

1. For some reason when you click on the video it starts quite a bit forward and cuts off the first tune!

2.That would be yours truly with the Guild Pilot Bass.

3. The Keyboardist is a friend of the guitarist on the left and is just sitting in! We've never played with him until this night!

4. We didn't rehearse Maybellene and probably hadn't played it in six months so it was a little rusty!

5. The Drummers Wife shot the video.

6. We all sing lead including the Drummer!

7. Only the second time we played "Amie" out and maybe the fifth time total!

Last edited: