R.I.P. Chuck...

Him teaching Keif was so funny:

[video]https://player.vimeo.com/video/18623223[/video]

Ralf

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What a Legend and What a Life, While he will be missed I think 90 is a damn good number especially for a performing musician! Thanks for changing music forever Chuck and May your Journey be filled with love and good tunes!

Riding along in my automobile.........my baby beside me at the wheel.....

TX

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I weep quietly as I'm typing this. I owe Chuck, more than anybody else, for the joy in my life that is "Rock and Roll". That man was the true KING.

RIP dear man.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What a void...... no matter how logical and unescapable, the departure of some is hard to take.
However, as Tom said, nice run Chuck!

dougdnh

Reaction score
Chuck Berry blended r&b with country to come up with something new - rock and roll. I learned how to play rock guitar by playing along with Chuck Berry records till my fingers bled. Any time we played a Chuck Berry tune at a dance, everyone would dance. There will never be another Chuck Berry.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The first job I ever had, when I was 15, was washing pots and pans in a big restaurant. I will never, ever forget hearing 'School Days' for the first time over the beat up radio the dishwasher had over the dish machine.
I stopped what I was doing, transfixed by that unbelieveably great record. So much better than EVERYTHING else I was hearing on top 40.
That lit the fire that still burns to this day.
Thanks Chuck, you are the king of Rock 'n Roll.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I gotta add:
CHUCK BERRY LIVES AND ROCKS!!

hail hail rock 'n roll

strummer

Reaction score
Although I really got my main exposure to Chuck's music thru the Beatles and Stones,I remember School Days as the first song on the radio I ever listened to the words all the way thru.Somebody,(Lennon,I think)called him Rock's first poet.Learning the licks to Roll Over Beethoven and the others was a litmus test when I was becoming a musician long,long ago.The 21st century claims another victim.We should all be very grateful to the inventor of magnetic tape.Music is here and hopefully will be forever.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
He was the oldest of the 50's Rock and Roll generation, and except for Jerry Lee Lewis, he's outlived them all. Probably left the most impressive body of work too, compared to most of his peers.

matsickma

Reaction score
Everyone who played guitar had a litmus test to play Chuck Berry's songs and riffs. Johnny-B-Good the classic among many others. Heck I just picked up one of his hits CD two years ago to re-aquaint myself to his music and licks.

It was a point of note last year when he turned 90 it didn't make the news. Paul McCartney, and possibly others, did do a call-out to Chuck on his 90th BD at the Conchella "Desert Trip" concert last October.
Wish I saw him live...

Long live Rock-n-roll!!
M

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
We honored Chuck at our gig last night. We did a Chuck song every set. (Actually we could have done a whole "Chuck" set of just his hits couldn't we?)

We played Maybellene, No Money Down, and Carol. (We were going to play Johnny B. but somebody played it on the juke box between sets!)

Last edited:

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
This morning's practice session, was dedicated to re-acquainting myself with Chuck's rhythms and licks.

Boy! That's Fun!