Which strings do you use on your Starfire Bass?

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have used the stock strings and Labella 760FM (.109) and 760M (.110) sets.

I want to try Rotosound 77 flats next, and then 66 rounds after, if I don't like their flats.

Just curious what everyone here likes.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Every time this comes up I have to rummage around in cases and piles of old packages... Life was so much easier with just two basses and one had a set of Rotosounds on it for 35 years or so and the other a set of Guild strings for about 30.

One of my Starfires has some TI Flats and the other some D'Addarios. I can tell the difference but I don't prefer one enough to actually figure out which I like best and replace them on the other bass.

The above mentioned Rotosounds are 41 years old and on my JS II at the moment.

gilded

Reaction score
TI Jazz Flats are all I've ever had on mine!

I've had other strings, but I prefer TI Jazz Flats. I have them on my early '66 SF I bass. They sound great for 6 months and good for a year.

wisconsindead

Reaction score
Pyramid Flats. I used to have TI's. I prefer the more scooped tone. And also how the treble significantly increases towards the thinner strings. But I basically just try to copy whatever Edwin is doing :p

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
"The above mentioned Rotosounds are 41 years old and on my JS II at the moment. "

Your strings are a decade older than my grown, adult daughters!

bassman10096

Reaction score
Pyramid Flats. I used to have TI's. I prefer the more scooped tone. And also how the treble significantly increases towards the thinner strings. But I basically just try to copy whatever Edwin is doing :p
Me too; Me too; Me too; Me too; You could do worse...

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Always heavy gauge flatwounds. I'm not a big fan of lower-tension, flexible strings. I think I've tried close to if not all the available brands but usually come back to D'Addario or Fender. Currently my Starfire has a mix of several sets of both of those brands. Just whichever of each string, E-G, sounded and felt the best to me

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Now that's a custom set!
I like pretty high tension, too.
It is funny how the same set of strings feels different (tension-wise) on different basses.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Despite Mgod's recommendation to use TI Jazz Rounds, I used Jazz Flats and/or Pyramids on my modded JS-II. But I finally swapped over to rounds once I waved in another bass to use flats on.

It has transformed the tone for the better, at least when I play through my stupid purchase 1968 Hiwatt (with a sealed 4x12" cab). Sweet! That said, the M-85 strung with rounds still sounds better to my ears through the Versatone.

So ~ I guess there is no simple answer to any of this.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
One of my Starfires has some TI Flats and the other some D'Addarios. I can tell the difference but I don't prefer one enough to actually figure out which I like best and replace them on the other bass.

TI flats should have red ribbon and D'Addario blue ribbon...

I have D'Adarrio light guage flats on my solid body Jetstar w/Bisonic neck pickup and mini hum bridge pickup.

TI flats on my Starfire(s) with Bisonics and my GSR M-85.

rounds sound completely different. equally good just a lot different, not better or worse. Flats though, are much easier for me to play somehow, and for me to sound better playing. but that says more about my (lack of) technique than it does about the strings.