Guild OM-240CE Westerly Archback - problems ???

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

I was close to get me one OM-240CE Westerly Archback before X-mas - price was right etc but I hesitated - now it is no more available at www.thomann.de - they sent me an e-mail : "... there have been lots of quality problems, so it will not be on our sales roster anymore . . ." ( my free translation )

SO - THE QUESTION : what is the quality of Westerly series in general and/or OM-240CE especially.

I would like to get me a "cheap guitar" that can be left at cabin waiting . . . - my F50R stays at home or with me - period ! ! !

An alternative could be Guild Jumbo Junior.

Thanks for reading.

Antney

Reaction score
Life is special and short...I will never be lying on my deathbed wishing I'd played my guild more often. It's only wood and steel.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is the first I have heard of " Lots of quality problems " , but they have not been out very long, so the reviews are not plentiful.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a known and respected vendor. If they're saying there's trouble with a model or line of guitars, I'd probably wonder if there's not some quality problems at the China factory. They do a fairly high volume in Europe, do they not? So if I heard this, I might seek out a different vendor if you can find one over there. But I would always consider the input of a respected vendor. The only reason I can imagine they wouldn't sell you one, or try to get you one is if they've had too much trouble. Which is worrisome because that's a super nice model of the Westerly Collection line. Maybe contact Guild (Cordoba) itself and see if there's another vendor in your country/area? I'm not sure here.... just throwing ideas out.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom

Just looking at eBay - no problem getting one here in Europe at about same price, too - but like you said , Thomann is big and well respected. And they carry the all kind brands from el Cheapos to Rich Bitches - from under 100,- to 10.000,-

So I am just wondering if it is worth to invest my euros into it.

And they still have other Westerly-series models in stock - only OM-240CE is discontinued

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow not what I expected to see . Wondering if said issues would be due to the arched back ? If it's cosmetics issues seems odd no other model is having them yes ?

Neal

Reaction score
FWIW, I played one at Sam Ash a few weeks ago, and it was one of the best values I picked up, both there and next door at Guitar Center.

Good tone, nice balance, decent playability. I saw no defects.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I will say this. I have seen 2 used ones pop up on CL, 2 refurbs pop up on Reverb and I saw a D-240e at my local pawn shop that had a rising bridge. I believe where there is smoke there is fire. They are nice boxes and have a pretty solid sound. But they are a new endeavor of the Westerly line and a departure (with the arched back ) from the typical MIC Guild design.. Good or bad it might be some kinks need to be worked out. MIC's ( though I am lucky enough to own 3 fantastic guitars ) can be inconsistent at times. I will say the only true consistent models I have played US, Korea or MIC have been Westerly Guilds. Then again I am a guitar noob when it comes to models and brands. I played a Larrivee D-03 exclusively from the time I was 21 until the time I was 37 when I got my first Guild.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd also say that if the guitar comes and has issues or is not as represented in the advertising, that you could return it. This is what shopping online is all about. I'd definitely choose this larger, nicer guitar over a Junior Jumbo. Let us know what you decide.

p.s. - I think this is an example of why we all raised such a fuss when the "Westerly Collection" first came out. People then start referring to them as "Westerly" guitars which intimates that they were built in Westerly, Rhode Island, USA. Even though the model number says that's not true. It's just confusing and those less versed in Guild history might get confused. Which is what we were afraid of. That has nothing to do with your buying one of these guitars, however. :encouragement:

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Wow not what I expected to see . Wondering if said issues would be due to the arched back ? If it's cosmetics issues seems odd no other model is having them yes ?
That would surprise me since the back itself is actually an elegant design in terms of strength and function.
Lamination by nature is stronger than single ply, being arched gives it better impact resistance, it's virtually crackproof from ahumidity issues, and it eliminates the need for back bracing.
Having said that, the last I heard the steam press that was used at least ever since Westerly RI wound up in Oxnard, so I'm guessing they're using something different in China.
I'd be pretty surprised if they're pressing backs here and shipping 'em to China.
So I'm inclined to go with the bridge lift issue as D30 man mentioned here, since another new member just asked about re-gluing bridge on an MIC 12-er within the last month.
So I'm thinking yes there is smoke, but it's coming from the bridges.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
p.s. - I think this is an example of why we all raised such a fuss when the "Westerly Collection" first came out. People then start referring to them as "Westerly" guitars which intimates that they were built in Westerly, Rhode Island, USA. Even though the model number says that's not true. It's just confusing and those less versed in Guild history might get confused. Which is what we were afraid of. That has nothing to do with your buying one of these guitars, however. :encouragement:
Yep, even though I wanted to reserve judgement at the time, when I see 'em listed that way on the internet (Just "Westerly" instead of the proper "Westerly Collection" type, it frosts me for the same reason: new owners/users may see bad QC Reports of the MIC product and transfer that perception to the vintage units through name association.
I can't see how that wouldn't result in dilution of brand value even for Oxnard, as the heir apparent of the Guild tradition, now tainted in unsophisticated buyers' eyes.
Or guilty of intentional image rip-off at worst...
I'm on the "Get rid of that series name!" side, now.

Last edited:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I work part-time at a guitar store here in town, we carry the current Guild line, and we've sold a few of those archbacks, to happy customers. They seem to be pretty solid guitars for the price range they're in, a pretty good deal even, considering they have a pickup built in and come with a gig bag.

One thing I do know for a fact is that the distributor is having major problems right now getting his guitars into Europe because of the new CITES regulations - I actually had him on the phone just this afternoon, and he told me it's a red tape nightmare. So that's the main reason quite a few models are starting to show "out of stock" with some European retailers.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
One thing I do know for a fact is that the distributor is having major problems right now getting his guitars into Europe because of the new CITES regulations - I actually had him on the phone just this afternoon, and he told me it's a red tape nightmare. So that's the main reason quite a few models are starting to show "out of stock" with some European retailers.
To tell you the truth that sounds a whole lot more like the real problem, but I didn't want to accuse the OP's source of "fabricating " the QC story in lieu of the truth, especially with others pointing out that Thomann is regarded as a reputable seller..
I know it happens often in the retail environment and it can be simply because it's an easier explanation than trying to educate an "average Joe somebody" about the ramifications of the real problem.
In fact though it's damaging the maker's reputation and not really doing the customer a service, if they then proceed with their purchasing search based on misinformation.

@ NUUSKA:
I'd actually suggest trying to go higher in Thomann's organization to get a "straight answer", if it's not an onerous task.
The multiple reports of bridge lifts are out of character with previous experience with the MIC guitars, but now I think Walter's explanation is much more likely the real problem, from somebody with true specialized knowledge about both the line and what's happening in Europe.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yep, even though I wanted to reserve judgement at the time, when I see 'em listed that way on the internet (Just "Westerly" instead of the proper "Westerly Collection" type, it frosts me for the same reason: new owners/users may see bad QC Reports of the MIC product and transfer that perception to the vintage units through name association.
I can't see how that wouldn't result in dilution of brand value even for Oxnard, as the heir apparent of the Guild tradition, now tainted in unsophisticated buyers' eyes.
Or guilty of intentional image rip-off at worst...
I'm on the "Get rid of that series name!" side, now.

I remember such discussions re: new MIC series naming. Though as seen in previous posts I too am guilty of referring to the new MIC's as Westerly or referring to them by their given name, Westerly Collection. This is likely what sparked Tom's response.

However, unless one is passionate and/or curious about the brand or looking to sell one here, would they join LTG to begin with? I would guess this would be a very small percentage. And if they are either one of the afore-mentioned things would they not already know this before joining the forum? Maybe I am missing something, but I truthfully see this as a non-issue..

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Be cool if Oxnard decided to add the D25 arched back into the line. Get the press back up and humming. "Turn those machines back on"! 😀

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Be cool if Oxnard decided to add the D25 arched back into the line. Get the press back up and humming. "Turn those machines back on"! ��

It would be cool if they would start cranking out arched backs in Oxnard. I bet they would sound pretty sweet. I have not met a Guild arched back that I didn't like though... That is why I own one :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
However, unless one is passionate and/or curious about the brand or looking to sell one here, would they join LTG to begin with? I would guess this would be a very small percentage. And if they are either one of the afore-mentioned things would they not already know this before joining the forum? Maybe I am missing something, but I truthfully see this as a non-issue..

It's got nothing to do with whether they join here or start looking for info, it's the proliferation of ads using just the term "Westerly" to refer to the new instruments.
It's all about blurring the historical significance of the Westerly factory. This is the kind of stuff that internet myths are made of.
This is the kind of post that'll inevitably wind up on the Acoustic Guitar Forum
"Thomann told me they're having a lot of QC problems with Westerly Guilds".
See what I mean?
We already have to deal with the "pre-and-post Fender" myth, that Fender didn't take 'em over until Corona ad that late Westerlys are the best because Fender hadn't screwed 'em up yet.
You're right, the folks who actually join here are either already knowledgable or looking for the truth, but I'm not worried about members.
It's all those disingenuous sellers and folks that don't look for that kind of resource that keep myths alive and growing.
And ads from sellers calling MIC instruments "Westerly Guilds" just feed the myth making.