Before there was REVERB what was the other main instrument listing site besides Ebay?

tjmangum

Reaction score
Having a bit of brain freeze at the moment and can't think of the site. A number of years ago, I listed a number of items there.
Thanks!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Harmony Central was also one of the first music discussion forums, and they had a classified section. I didn't know Gbase was around that early.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There used to be these things called, um, what was it...oh yes, newspapers!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Gbase, but that said, since Reverb has taken off, there's considerably less interesting gear on Ebay. I really don't think I'm imagining things there.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Harmony Central was my hang for awhile. I've never bought or sold a guitar via eBay. Did get hold of some cool Soviet-era E. German lenses on eBay back in its early days, though!

-Dave-

(Edit: fixed typo.)

Last edited:

jcwu

Reaction score
Did anyone post ads in the Recycler? I know I did, back in the day!!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Here in central Virginia it is called the "Trading Post", published in tabloid newspaper form and sold at most convenience stores. It still exits! It was truly the original Craigslist. I used to scour that thing for good deals on everything from power tools to stereo equipment to guitars & amps. As I remember, ads in the city newspaper were kind of expensive, particularly if they had to run for a few weeks.

sailingshoes

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Did anyone post ads in the Recycler? I know I did, back in the day!!
Don't recall that one but remember one called Potpourri which got renamed to Pennysaver..maybe even the same publishers?
Bought a couple of RX-7's that way.

tjmangum

Reaction score
Used to see something called the "Penny Saver" on the W. Coast. Same kind of thing, cheap or free classified ads. If you put a classified ad in the local paper you usually only attract older people, since no one under 40, it seems, even reads a newspaper.