What year(s) this S 100

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I was surfing around the web and came across this picture of an s100 with a white guard.
What years did they do this:
165132759.jpg

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I was surfing around the web and came across this picture of an s100 with a white guard.
What years did they do this:
165132759.jpg

Hello F30,

There's not a whole lot of detail in the photo, so I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. From what I can see it seems we're looking at a white finished guitar from the mid-'70s with less discoloration under the transparent pickguard than the rest of the body. I don't think this is a white pickguard.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
Ahh...the plexiglass pickguard is filtering out the UV and IR. Makes sense.

Years ago when I graduated from HS my first working job was as a welder. I showed up on day 1 without safety glasses and proceeded to work with another welder throughout the day. That night my eyes were a mess. Thought I was blind. Didn't show up day 2 at work. When I came back on day 3 I had my safety glasses and never had a problem again. I had always thought safety glasses were only for preventing particles from getting in your eye. Wrong!
M

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ahh...the plexiglass pickguard is filtering out the UV and IR. Makes sense.
Years ago when I graduated from HS my first working job was as a welder. I showed up on day 1 without safety glasses and proceeded to work with another welder throughout the day. That night my eyes were a mess. Thought I was blind. Didn't show up day 2 at work. When I came back on day 3 I had my safety glasses and never had a problem again. I had always thought safety glasses were only for preventing particles from getting in your eye. Wrong!
M

Wow.... you are very lucky that you didn't suffer permanent damage in your eyes.

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense but it did look like a white guard at first glance.
Thanks for clearing that up.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm sure it's happened, but I've never seen anything like that before!

walrus

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The body of my old old Tele (to distinguish it from my newer old Tele!) was oversprayed with clear lacquer sometime in the '60s. Given the amount of wear it probably shoulda been refin'd. Anyway the overspray then proceded to yellow, per the "clear" stuff of that era, giving the guitar's butterscotch finish a spray-tanned orangey look, especially under warmer lighting. Yet the areas that subsequently were worn through to the primer coat(s) are vivid white. :) This cosmetic faux pas (yes, I know, wrong thread) was in large part why I was able to afford it!

-Dave-

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have one of those guitars!

4d3a1b64e50f8451d866e1dd2c6213e8.jpg

Actually, I have four (but never took a pic of all 4 together, because they're never in the same place at the same time.

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Now if I didn't know better if I saw that up on stage - I would think that was a White Pickguard.
Thanks for the photo.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hey BluesPicky... I did use a arc welding face shield when actually doing my welding so the catastrophic eye damage from the arc wasn't an issue. I was shocked by the impact if the "burn" done by the momentary arc flashes if a 2nd welder.
The type if eye injury I had is essentially "sunburn of the cornea". It has been described as the feeling if having sand in your eyes.

The heavy-duty damage firm staring at arc-welding is similar to looking at an solar eclipse where you actually destroy the sensors in the eye and optic nerve.

Needless to say I learned safety glasses have multiple benefits and was never without them again over the four years I worked as a welder.

M

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I noticed all of these have the same bridge with separate tension bar.
original.jpg

165148319.jpg

It looks like they cut off one of the old style guild Bigsby's and added a tension bar....
165148322.jpg

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
IMO making the tension bar a separate piece is brilliant (if only incidentally so in this case). First thing I'd do is experiment with shimming it up, to find the point where it does the job properly with the least amount of tension.

-Dave-

matsickma

Reaction score
Yes...the Guildsby portion was indeed made by modifying / removing the lower "G" section and the hinge of archtop Guildsby. However the tensioner was a completely new part. If you look closely at the pictures of the Deluxe's you'll see it has a base. The base is screwed down first. Then the roller/ tensioner is assembled into it and secured with snap rings.

When Westerly was closed a guy was selling a number of the Guildsby and Tensioners along with a Bigsby bridges as a set. I installed one set on a S70, less the Bigsby bridge.

M