The Who in Vegas

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
A very difficult piece of news to digest at 6.05 in the morning ! All I can say is that it's a great shame that Moonie won't be there to enjoy the "opportunities".

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Well, it's only six shows. I saw Springsteen & the E Streeters at the old Meadowlands arena 15 times in 1999 (took a month-long leave of absence to do it too). T'was a blast! Not really interested in the Townshend/Daltrey/sidemen version of the "Who", though.

A friend of mine has a teenage son who's a big Who fan, particularly of Quadrophenia (my fav of theirs too). In fact he's had my copy of the fairly recent box-set version since last summer. Still listens to CDs and even some of his folks' old vinyl.

-Dave-

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, it's only six shows. I saw Springsteen & the E Streeters at the old Meadowlands arena 15 times in 1999 (took a month-long leave of absence to do it too). T'was a blast! Not really interested in the Townshend/Daltrey/sidemen version of the "Who", though.

A friend of mine has a teenage son who's a big Who fan, particularly of Quadrophenia (my fav of theirs too). In fact he's had my copy of the fairly recent box-set version since last summer. Still listens to CDs and even some of his folks' old vinyl.

-Dave-
Having seen the Quad tour a few years ago, and coverage of last year's, its still mostly Pete and Rog. Remember, Zak was taught by Keith.

As far as a Vegas residency, they are in their 70s; be nice for them not to have to travel constantly.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The current 'Who' are a pale reflection of the original band. Having seen the real thing, I'm not interested in seeing them, especially in Vegas.
I don't begrudge Pete and Roger making some cash and playing gigs, but I'm not going to be in the audience.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
She Who Must Be Obeyed and I saw them in L.A. last May at the Staples Center - the makeup date from the cancelled Who Hits 50! date from the previous September. I was expecting bloated rock star caricatures and was pleasantly surprised at how good they were. No, Daltrey's voice can't reach as high as it once did, and Townsend is still always seemingly annoyed about something/everything, but it was a really good concert. Are they the same with Moon and Entwistle? Nope. But it was still good - worth all of the pretty stuff StubHub admission price.

I can still remember reverently listening to all four sides of Tommy in one sitting just after its release with a middle-school buddy whose brother just picked it up at the record store.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
She Who Must Be Obeyed and I saw them in L.A. last May at the Staples Center - the makeup date from the cancelled Who Hits 50! date from the previous September. I was expecting bloated rock star caricatures and was pleasantly surprised at how good they were. No, Daltrey's voice can't reach as high as it once did, and Townsend is still always seemingly annoyed about something/everything, but it was a really good concert. Are they the same with Moon and Entwistle? Nope. But it was still good - worth all of the pretty stuff StubHub admission price.

I can still remember reverently listening to all four sides of Tommy in one sitting just after its release with a middle-school buddy whose brother just picked it up at the record store.
Exactly. Are they the same? No. Are they as good as they were with Moonie and John. No. Are they pale imitations? Far from it. It's like sex; it may not be the best, but it's still pretty good.

Reaction score
Mo Moonie , no OX (a old friend of mine, aka hotel name John Fitzperfectly) and lead sing who face may crack on the stage from
to many face lifts and a guitar play who can't remember his generation!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
…aka hotel name John Fitzperfectly…

:triumphant: Brilliant!

My sole close(ish) encounter with J. Entwistle was at a Who show in 1979, at Masonic Auditorium in Detroit. A fairly small venue, kind of a warmup for a set of US shows. A guy I knew from high school got a friend & me in…he worked for either the promoter or the venue as a local roadie. Great seats, bass side of the stage, just far enough back to be fully pummeled by Entwistle's rig. We were both in complete awe of the man's combo of dexterity and musicality. "Townshend plays like a thug, Entwistle like a mæstro," my friend said afterward. And we were both huge Townshend fans.

-Dave-

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I saw them in the Pontiac Silverdome in early '76 when Keith Moon was still alive. There were 80,000 people there. Tickets were $10.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Townshend plays like a thug, Entwistle like a mæstro," my friend said afterward. And we were both huge Townshend fans.

-Dave-

Perfect summation. When I listen to any of their live stuff where they haven't buried Entwistle way down in the mix I am always amazed. Like Jack Bruce in Cream, he was responsible for both bass and rhythm guitar at the same time.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
A very difficult piece of news to digest at 6.05 in the morning ! All I can say is that it's a great shame that Moonie won't be there to enjoy the "opportunities".

I think we've agreed before about the sheer perfection of "Live at Leeds". That was their peak for me.
These days, I've come around to believing that life in the industry is so tough, I don't begrudge anybody grabbing the money when it's there anymore, even if I used to think they "sold out" to do it.
If I don't like the music I don't have to buy it.
Otherwise a working musician deserves to finally get some payback for all those underpaid years of trying to get a break, and then the hell of life on the road when they do.
OK, life in Vegasfor 6 weeks is probably a couple of levels up from hell, or maybe just a stop on the way down, depending on your viewpoint. :glee:
"Sell out"? (Full pun of album title intended, and not that I think that's what you're implying)

I should get so lucky.