Al, they really were just a great garage rock band. Maybe the greatest!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
...speaking of "It Might Get Loud", can anyone explain why Jack White and the Edge are paired with Page? Why not Page, Pete, and Keith?

It was sort of Page for the 70's, Edge for the 80's - 90's, White after that. Where was Eddie Van Halen?

walrus

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Y'know, many years ago in my late teens I formulated the hypothesis that Hendrix himself, a notorious "mimic", arrived in London just in time to be hear and be influenced by the Yardbirds sound (Over Under Sideways Down) (and Revolver).
Only a couple of years later that hypothesis was confirmed when I found out that Hendrix' tech Roger Mayer had been the Yardbirds' "gizmo guy".
Realize now that Beck's groundbreaking feedback on "Better Man Than I" and "Shapes of Things" had already hit on US Radio as early as '65.
For the longest time I thought that Beck detested Hendrix based on Pete Townshend's quote from the movie "Hendrix".
Coming out of a club Beck says to Townshend: "It's terrible. He's ripping off all your stuff".
In retrospect that must have been have been sheer sarcasm on Beck's part, Beck was the one actually getting ripped off by both of 'em.
Finally, only last week, I stumbled across some bio material in which Chas Chandler says when Jimi got to London the first thing he asked for was to meet Jeff Beck, although it didn't happen (then).
Also come to discover only a few years back they were actually great buddies.
Hendrix sat in with the Jeff Beck Group for a week in New York in 1969, did a duet of "Beck's Bolero" with 'em, and showed off his new Corvette to fellow 'Vette enthusiast Beck.
So who did Jimi Hendrix want to be when he grew up?
Jeff Beck.
He even borrowed a riff from "Rice Pudding" on Beckola and used it in "Rainbow Bridge" concert, the closing riff to "Ezy Rider".
It was finally credited all these years later in the booklet accompanying the CD re-issue of BeckOla.

Here's an interview from a few years ago where Beck discussed all of the above:

http://www.guitarworld.com/dear-gui...osion-and-his-poor-man-s-pedal-steel-approach

walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
And, not to disagree with your comments above, Al, but NO ONE sounds like Hendrix. So whatever he "took" from others (and everyone took from everyone else - still do today), he made it his own.

IMHO, Hendrix is by himself is regard to "uniqueness". Of all the guitarists we are talking about, he is the only one who would not have "fit" in the Yardbirds!

walrus

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
As far as who took what from whom, I agree with waly, what really matters is what you do with, to ultimately define your own style.
All of these guys were (are) obviously all talented performers that have defined their own style, but as I said earlier in a post already forgotten (lol), they picked it up where the black "road pavers" left it.
And it's not me saying it, listen to what they all say about their early influences... it all goes back down to the Delta baby.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And, not to disagree with your comments above, Al, but NO ONE sounds like Hendrix. So whatever he "took" from others (and everyone took from everyone else - still do today), he made it his own.
Right, no argument.
Main point was that until the last few years the connection between Beck and Hendrix was virtually unknown. At least, as a fan of both, I never came across it in any of the bio material I read.
But I never forgot some journalist back in the early '70's saying that Hendrix was a master mimic, all he had to do was listen to somebody for a few minutes and he could reproduce their sound and style perfectly.
Realized it was true,and there's nothing wrong with that, it's an incredible gift and useful tool for creating new takes on a theme, and it got me started thinking.

IMHO, Hendrix is by himself is regard to "uniqueness". Of all the guitarists we are talking about, he is the only one who would not have "fit" in the Yardbirds!
walrus
Oh I think he would have "fit" on "Roger the Engineer":
Over Under Sideways Down, Happenings, Hot House of Omagararshid, What Do You Want... heck every song on the album even Jeff's Boogie, but granted he woulda just been a sideman and not able to pursue his own muse or writing.
Which was exactly the opportunity Chandler was offering.
So I suspect he wouldn't have taken the gig if offered anyway, but if he was there under different circumstances I have no doubt he could have "hacked" it.
And the world might have been a poorer place for it, actually.
Mighta never had the chance to give us his own stuff.
Now the Beatles, I bet he wouldn't-a fit in with the Beatles, no matter how much he liked their stuff.
:glee:

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Agree 100% he would have "hacked" the Yardbirds! LMAO!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And it's not me saying it, listen to what they all say about their early influences... it all goes back down to the Delta baby.

Or Les Paul, in one particular case..who mighta had a little "Wisconsin country" in him but didn't get closer to the delta than St. Louis MO.
While keeping an ear on Django.
Now Django...I'll allow that gypsy jazz shared roots with African banjo due to the split of the Romany Trail (the source of gypsy jazz) into North Africa and Central Europe.
But garage rock guys were oblivious to all that, I think.
:glee:

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think his consideration might have stopped at the jacket and tie...

NON, non... by '66, the collarless jackets were gone with the end of live concerts:

tumblr_npy4mm0JDI1uyt3qgo2_1280.png

Image-wise, no problem:
176.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I would have loved to see what that group came up with! Actually, Miles usually gave his ever-changing bandmates a very rough outline of what to play. John McLaughlin said in an interview he gave him a few chords and told him to play - and viola, "In A Silent Way", "Jack Johnson", and "Bitches Brew" happened! (Hey, I used another French word!).

Had McCartney ever got that note, one has to think he would have been greatly pleased - that's quite a compliment!

Let's see, Paul records with Jimi and Miles, while John records with Yoko. Hmmm...

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I would have loved to see what that group came up with! Actually, Miles usually gave his ever-changing bandmates a very rough outline of what to play. John McLaughlin said in an interview he gave him a few chords and told him to play - and viola, "In A Silent Way", "Jack Johnson", and "Bitches Brew" happened! (Hey, I used another French word!).

Had McCartney ever got that note, one has to think he would have been greatly pleased - that's quite a compliment!

Let's see, Paul records with Jimi and Miles, while John records with Yoko. Hmmm...

walrus
Yeah, that was Miles' usual method.
But avant garde prize goes to John and Yoko.
In fact, "project completion" prize goes there too.
Before recording with Clapton and Alan White.
However, most impressive achievement album goes to Wonderwall.
:friendly_wink:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ah, Wonderwall! I love Clapton's riff on "Ski-ing"!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ah, Wonderwall! I love Clapton's riff on "Ski-ing"!

walrus

I thank you for turning me on to the telegram.
I'd forgotten about it, if I ever knew.
You must also be aware that vestiges of the period appear on South Saturn Delta and the undeservedly notorious Douglas posthumous releases, some material with organist Larry Young, another Davis alumnus?

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Here's an interview from a few years ago where Beck discussed all of the above

Thanks for the link to the Jeff Beck interview. That was a good read! I enjoyed the video clip of Clapton and Beck playing "Further on Up the Road"... one of my favorite shuffle tunes! The only problem is that it sent me on a hour long tour of Jeff Beck live videos on youtube. But then again, Tal Wilkenfeld is always easy on the eyes and ears. :barbershop_quartet_

sailingshoes

Last edited:
Reaction score
https://www.wired.com/2017/03/remastering-one-beatles-live-album-finally-made-great/

I always thought the Who was the greatest raw garage rock band, but maybe it was the Beatles after all.

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/remastering-one-beatles-live-album-finally-made-great/

I always thought the Who was the greatest raw garage rock band, but maybe it was the Beatles after all.

Love the Beatles and the Who, no doubt!

But when I think of pure, raw "garage bands" of the 60's, I think of the local guys I heard WAY back...like:

Syndicate of Sound "Little Girl"
OR...
the Count Five "Psychotic Reaction"
The Music Machine "Talk Talk"
The Seeds "Pushin' Too Hard"
Blue Cheer "Summertime Blues"

I'd also include the Beau Brummels...but they did a bunch of studio stuff, so they're not exactly "garage".

Fun stuff!!!

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed the video clip of Clapton and Beck playing "Further on Down the Road"... one of my favorite shuffle tunes!
sailingshoes

Yea, Jeff really nails this one on the Tele.... Eric always knew Jeff was the better guitarist, hence the bitter relationship for a while, then he warmed up to it. After all, when you have Eric's successful career, who cares about the p!$$in@ contest right?.. like Jeff says "everybody knows who Clapton his, they don't know me..." lol
Plus, Eric has other talents, for one, he's a very underrated singer. Love his voice.