Looking 4 Bigsby Bridge saddle with WOUND G compensation...

Reaction score
I've spent the better part of a week trying to find a Bigsby saddle for my X160.
The one I have is factory, compensated for a plain G. I use a wound G (3rd).
Didn't think it was going to be this difficult!

Emailed Bigsby and they wrote back "We do offer a bridge with a 3" post spacing compensated for a wound third string; it is called our Guild Special bridge. It is our part number 0495-0271. As we don't currently sell direct, we suggest visiting your favorite local shop as most stores deal with at least one of our distribution partners (Allparts, WD Music, CE Dist., and Harris Teller).

Well...no one seems to have the part in stock. (Some don't even bother to reply!)
Seems like most players wanted the bridge saddle compensated for plain G, and that's what they stock.
And the few I have seen on ebay that are compensated for wound G, do not have the 3" post spacing.

What a PITA!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's the oldfashioned "wound G" bigsby saddle, different spacing than what Retro rocker is looking for.

Reaction score
Once again, Hans to the rescue!
He told me that the guy at Bigsby was mistaken. There really is no Bigsby saddle with 3" spacing for a wound G, Only for unwound. So, it looks like I'll have to replace the entire bridge and saddle, which I don't really mind, just as long as I can set the string spacing wide enough to cover the DeArmonds adequately.

Reaction score
Quantum and Walter, you are both correct! As it turns out, that's what I'm going to have to check on. I'm going to only be concerned with string spacing...E to E and replace the entire bridge and saddle setup! Hopefully it's wide enough.

DThomasC

Reaction score
A while ago I bought a Bigsby Sorkin bridge that came with a saddle intonated for a wound G as shown in the link. I replaced the saddle, but still have the original. The stud holes are about 2.8" on center, 3" to the outside edges of the studs.

If you think you might be able to make work then PM me a shipping address and I'll pop it in the mail.

EDIT: the saddle is not notched. You should be able to notch it for up to 2.2" E-e spacing.

Last edited:

gilded

Reaction score
I don't think any of you are looking for the Bigsby saddle that I have. It's the 3" center to center made for a plain or unwound G. Contact me if you need one. I sure don't!

Oh, and my understanding is that the 0495-271 is a complete bridge (bottom and saddle). Is that what you guys are thinking? And I tried a Google search for that bridge last night and couldn't find one.

My guess is Bigsby makes up a bunch every 3 or 4 years, whether they need to or not.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here's a couple of pictures. You can see that I am using every bit of width the saddle will allow! That's why I was looking for the same saddle with 3" center hole spacing...only compensated for a WOUND G instead of the plain G, which is what's on there now!

However, if the saddle I can get will allow 2.07in from E to E (outside measurement), then I should be OK. I don't really care if the base is wood or metal (at least I don't THINK I care!).

BigsbyBridge3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BigsbyBridge2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

parker_knoll

Reaction score
I think i have one you can have for postage, as I travelled in the opposite direction, replacing with one compensated for an unwound G.

I have some vintage ones as well. What era is the guitar?

I dig em out and measure them

Reaction score
It's a 2002 X160, built at Corona.

But here's what I'm finding out...according to Hans and from piecing together information (and MISinformation) from the parts houses...I'm looking for a unicorn! Apparently I CAN have a Bigsby bridge with 3" stud spacing...but only compensated for a plain (unwound) G.
They never made one with both 3" spacing and wound G compensation.

So...if I'm going to replace this bridge, I have to replace the saddle too!

parker_knoll

Reaction score
It's a 2002 X160, built at Corona.

But here's what I'm finding out...according to Hans and from piecing together information (and MISinformation) from the parts houses...I'm looking for a unicorn! Apparently I CAN have a Bigsby bridge with 3" stud spacing...but only compensated for a plain (unwound) G.
They never made one with both 3" spacing and wound G compensation.

So...if I'm going to replace this bridge, I have to replace the saddle too!

Well, i have both that fit on the original bridge that came with my 1966 Duane Eddy. I've done it with other guitars as well. In one case i had to slightly enlarge the holes. It's late here, but tomorrow I will dig them out and measure them.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
the only one with wider posts i have is for unwound G. i have a couple for the narrower bridge posts.

Maybe easier to get a new base for narrower posts? they fit just fine. In fact, that's what came on my '60s guitars.

As I remember there's a catalogue with part numbers on the Bigsby website (I also wrote to them to check i had the right bits), which then I ordered via a dealer. I think it was WD Music as they have a UK branch, but any will do.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
to clarify, the one with the smaller post spacing has a larger saddle area

so your problem will be solved by buying a new bridge with that post spacing. I have bought these in the last five years or so; they'll be available somewhere.

33172150950_7540515927_c.jpg