I am really thinking about getting a new White Polara

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've owned quite a few SG's but the Polara just seems to really have a unique style of its' own.
How are the pickups on the newer models?

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I think the current S-100s use HB-1 repros while the 2013–15 version used LB-1s. I love the LB-1s in my T-bird, and imagine they'll sound much the same in an S-100. Snappy & articulate at the bridge, warmer at the neck. The HB-1s should give you a meatier sound overall…but I'm waiting for GAD's eval before doing anything with the set I bought last year. :)

-Dave-

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the reply ..what do you mean by: "GAD's eval"

Member GAD has been writing a lot of reviews and conducting experiments with pickups. Unlike my opinions, his are often backed with objective data and experimentation. He also writes better than I do although we have both been paid for writing.

I'm not sure where the entry point for "GAD on Guilds" actually is but here is one place to start. http://www.gad.net/Blog/

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wonder why they started selling them with gig bags and no option for hardshell case..
I ended up finding a NOS with the hardshell.
The 2016s are coming with a gig bag only.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wonder why they started selling them with gig bags and no option for hardshell case..
Welcome to market consumerism. Anything to entice volume, in hopes of boosting revenues.
Are they coming stringed these days? :abnormal:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Re. strings, I'll insert my usual complaint about new ~24.75" scale length guitars featuring nuts slotted too narrow to accommodate 11 gauge strings. Ya don't have to string 'em with 11s, but just accept the possibility that someone might want to! :angry:

-Dave-

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

Interesting question. I'm not sure I would always pay more to get a HSC instead of a gig bag. My tuba had both and when I was gigging with it I almost always traveled with the gig bag unless I was not personally responsible for moving the instrument. I could use two arms to carry with a gig bag whereas the case really only worked with one arm. There was probably a 10 lb weight difference between the gig bag and the HSC which influenced my preference.

All my basses have HSCs but some of them are large and inconvenient in terms of loading into a compact car. I keep thinking I'd rather have a gig bag for the most used instrument but have not bought one yet.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Welcome to market consumerism. Anything to entice volume, in hopes of boosting revenues.
Are they coming stringed these days? :abnormal:
D'Addario EJ-16 with an .025 G (wound) subbed in.

Re. strings, I'll insert my usual complaint about new ~24.75" scale length guitars featuring nuts slotted too narrow to accommodate 11 gauge strings. Ya don't have to string 'em with 11s, but just accept the possibility that someone might want to! :angry:

-Dave-

Wouldn't that void the warranty?
That's a big deal for me.
(Trying my damnedest to keep a straight face here).

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
My Guild stuff is all here: http://gadsguilds.com which is just a link to a section of my Blog. That's the totally wrong way to do it for SEO, but not big on caring. :wink-new:

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
BTW there are nickel switch tips on Ebay for anyone interested. I was thinking about changing the dark amber switch tip to: off white, Black, or Nickel.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I recently replaced a black switch tip on a black guitar with a white one, so in your case I'd go black. :)

-Dave-