Introducing myself

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
for those of you following along, here is what it sounds like to be really good at playing a bass, that you do not realize has a pickup switch

LMAO!!!!! It's so funny I'm not even embarrassed. Any chance I get to entertain you good people, is always my pleasure.
I got confused thinking the phase switch was the actual pick up switch! :biggrin:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Alright Rich... here it is anyway, just so you get your fix of carved for the night....

28h2brt.jpg

....and here I can see the pickup selector! lol

Last edited:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Need a pair or better to open?

Here's mine!

LeavesAcorns.JPG

(Plus bonus points for having the pick-up selector switches in the middle position for symmetry!)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Al.
Wonder what this eyelet is to the left of the knobs??? :shocked:

Since the pic is of a 70's JS II bass the controls include a PU toggle and the deep/hard (aka "suck") switch. The PU toggle looks like it may have had the tip replaced.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
(Plus bonus points for having the pick-up selector switches in the middle position for symmetry!)

Yeah but you lose a point for letting your reflection get caught on the bass bridge pickup.... thankfully you were wearing pants. :playful:

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Since the pic is of a 70's JS II bass the controls include a PU toggle and the deep/hard (aka "suck") switch. The PU toggle looks like it may have had the tip replaced.

the "deep-hard" mini switch in 1970s Guild basses is not a "suck" switch. the push button "bass boost" switch on 1960s Guild basses, with Bisonic Pickups, is the "suck switch." its called that for good reason and its circuitry is completly different than the deep hard switch on the 70s/Humbucker Guilds. the deep hard switch sounds good.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
looks like Grot has a Walnut Carved JS bass and Bluesy has a Nature Boy Carved JS bass. extra points to both of you for having the clear pickguard and tailpiece further from the bridge on the S-100s. Beautiful collections/sets guys, A+

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
All this talk of the deep/hard switch has got me a little bit flustered. I feel like I'm missing out on something good.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
the "deep-hard" mini switch in 1970s Guild basses is not a "suck" switch. the push button "bass boost" switch on 1960s Guild basses, with Bisonic Pickups, is the "suck switch." its called that for good reason and its circuitry is completly different than the deep hard switch on the 70s/Humbucker Guilds. the deep hard switch sounds good.

We are entitled to disagree. I have been calling the deep hard switch a suck switch since 1973 when I decided I did not like it because it made my tone suck. I have been calling it that on LTG since before you joined LTG :) And when it gets important I have stopped using the term in situations where the switch on the Starfire and the switch on the JS are being discussed together since the circuitry is not the same.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
We are entitled to disagree. I have been calling the deep hard switch a suck switch since 1973 when I decided I did not like it because it made my tone suck. I have been calling it that on LTG since before you joined LTG :) And when it gets important I have stopped using the term in situations where the switch on the Starfire and the switch on the JS are being discussed together since the circuitry is not the same.

that is your choice to call two entirely different things the same thing, seems to me it would be confusing for readers. yes we can agree to disagree on tone, but the real suck switch of the 60s/Bisonic era was a failed design that is widely acknowledged as better off disconnected. The 70s/Humbucker switch circuitry does not have that transformer/choke which is the source of the tone suckage. And it may have been your amp in 1973, that sucked :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
yes we can agree to disagree on tone, but the real suck switch of the 60s/Bisonic era was a failed design that is widely acknowledged as better off disconnected. The 70s/Humbucker switch circuitry does not have that transformer/choke which is the source of the tone suckage. And it may have been your amp in 1973, that sucked :)

I think the only way to settle this will be a duel.
Banjos at 10 paces.