Starfire questions

wisconsindead

Reaction score
From what I recall, the serial number switched to the BA thing for only a little bit of time (66-69 ish). Or something to that effect. Everything looks correct from what I remember on that 65 starfire.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Say as I was looking for info on the Starfire bass, I came across this old Ebay and Reverb sale. They say it's a 1965, has the bisonic in the sweet spot and square bridge.

But what's going with the serial number, 5 digits (41222) and no BA prefix?

Hello fretwear,

That's a Starfire bass from early 1965 that was completed before the introduction of the (then new) serial number system with the 2-letter prefix, which took place a little later that same year.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Given that my usual attempts to add to what Hans has said usually result in gentle corrections from him...

There are a handful of Starfire basses with serial numbered necks that date to 1964. The BA designation was used from 1965-1970. There is not yet any evidence that a Starfire bass was sold/left the factory before 1965 but it is almost certain that at least the necks for some of the first were made in 1964.

fretwear

Reaction score
hey thanks for the info, I thought that would likely be the case. It is interesting looking at the evolution of the SF bass.
Thanks