Fret Board Cleaners

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As everyone says, Stew-Mac. I think they're actually used for protecting the fretboard when you're crowning frets with a fret crowning file. At least that's why Don got his, but they're good any time you need to protect the wood of the fretboard from sharp tools. They would allow you to use the steel wool across the grain of the fretboard, which you can't do when you don't use them. Handy little tool.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
HAAAAA HAAAAA!! Well, yeah, of course. It's usually my personality going "against the grain" in most things.... not my steel wool. LMAO!!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tom, what are you worried about using wool across the fretboard grain? Scratching? I'm pretty sure I've done that and I don't think I've noticed anything... I could just be having a senior moment. :)

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
...cleaning a fret board with fancy abalone inlays, such as on the JF-100.

Recently, I was checking out a couple of listings in the "ebay/craig's list" section; specifically the blue F-65 CE and the D-60. I was admiring the colorful abalone inlays spliced into the mother of pearl blocks on the fretboards. It got me to thinking about Rich's original post. Do these shell inlays need any special attention? They occupy 8 of the 21 fretboard spaces. Would 0000 steel wool or 200 grit sandpaper damage the luster of these signature inlays? Is there a special polish for shell ornamentation?

Also, I was surprised to read the following in the article about Fret Doctor/Bore Oil:

"Almond oil, Walnut oil, etc., food grade, are probably O.K., but make sure they don't contain solvents like naphtha or other petroleum distillates. Solvents can weaken any adhesives used in instrument construction."

Would the solvents "weaken the adhesives" used to secure the shell inlays and the pin-stripes on the fretboard?

Bill

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Also, I was surprised to read the following in the article about Fret Doctor/Bore Oil:

"Almond oil, Walnut oil, etc., food grade, are probably O.K., but make sure they don't contain solvents like naphtha or other petroleum distillates. Solvents can weaken any adhesives used in instrument construction."

That's interesting.
I haven't heard that about solvents vs hideeglue which they used in Westerly, but we have heard it about silicones.
I'd think anything strong enough to break down hideglue, once set, would be too strong to consider using on a guitar in the first place.
And the caveat I'm aware of for true shell is that citric acids can etch it. It is after all, primarily calcium which is easily reduced by even mild acids.

Would the solvents "weaken the adhesives" used to secure the shell inlays and the pin-stripes on the fretboard?

Bill
I think that'd be the first time I heard of that but I guess anything's possible.
Still I suspect it'd take long-term exposure in amounts greater than what's typically left after a fretboard cleaning to be damaging.
You also reminded me that even frets can be loosened by inappropriate substances, think that was mentioned in the last "How to clean my guitar thread" within the last couple of months.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom, what are you worried about using wool across the fretboard grain? Scratching? I'm pretty sure I've done that and I don't think I've noticed anything... I could just be having a senior moment. :)
Honestly, it's about the OOOO-ness of the steel wool and the limited amount of damage it can do. And .... someone mentioned sandpaper? YIKES!! Even 200, unless you're resurfacing your fretboard would be scary. Okay, you asked, "What am I worried about?" Almost everything. It's my nature.... go ahead.. HATE ME FOR IT!! LMFAO!! With Ebony which is 90% of the fretboards in the house ....

Funny. I started this response like 9 hours ago and then suddenly we were late to lunch with the niece and now I'm home logging in and ... funny! We're trying to play guitar right now. We either need more beer, more drugs, or more skill..... my money is on the last one!!

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Anybody ever use this stuff: D'Addario/PLANETWAVES HYDRATE fingerboard conditioner & cleaner?

According to the label, it's a unique formula of oils and cleaners (contains petroleum distillates).

I've got a bottle, but haven't tried it yet.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I never understand things that clean AND condition.... they're separate tasks. Usually combination things do both things poorly. So I'll clean. And then condition. Terry do they list ingredients on that stuff? If not, I'd pass. Sounds like another overdose of chemicals when all you need is a wipe down, and a little bore oil. Just one opinion...... :encouragement:

p.s. - contains petroleum distillates..... I'm guessing mineral oil. And "hydrates" indicates water.

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tom, that's a very interesting observation. As a gun enthusiast, one of the key products that I use is a CLP (clean, lubricate, protect). Admittedly, these products are compromises. Some are excellent lubricants, but not so great about protecting from rust. The best protectants are not great lubricants.

In any case, great observation. I think cleaning vs. conditioning are two different subject. All I can say about bore oil is that it's an excellent conditioner. But, as far as being a cleaner, well, that's why I tend to use wool on crudded up boards first and wipe-down/vacuum before applying oil. By the way, I almost never play enough to crud up the board. Sad, but true.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
I never understand things that clean AND condition.... they're separate tasks. Usually combination things do both things poorly. So I'll clean. And then condition. Terry do they list ingredients on that stuff? If not, I'd pass. Sounds like another overdose of chemicals when all you need is a wipe down, and a little bore oil. Just one opinion...... :encouragement:

p.s. - contains petroleum distillates..... I'm guessing mineral oil. And "hydrates" indicates water.

No list of ingredients. It says to wipe it on, and then, immediately buff it dry. Rubbed some of this oily substance on my fingers and it took some doing to get it off.

I'll give it a try. I'm pretty sure it should condition the board nicely and maybe it'll clean and protect the frets too. We'll see.