Nld!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you saw my post in the Misc. section about shipping from a different climate, you know that this stands for New Lute Day.
After getting a German lute from the '50s awhile back, and struggling with its historical inaccuracies and general overbuilt (and badly built in spots), I've been keeping an eye out for something better, that's somewhat affordable. One finally popped up on Reverb from a violin/guitar shop in Anchorage. The price was a bargain, for lutes, and I even got them to accept $100 less. No case, which worried me, but the seller packed very well, using a foam cello case as an inner box, and, shipping UPS 2nd day air, I got it the next day!
It was made by well known historical instrument builder Lyn Elder in 2003. Yew back, spruce top, boxwood pegbox and pegs, and ebony veneered neck. It's light, like a true lute should be, weighing in at a svelte 1-1/2 lbs. Very nice to play (although still following the old lutist joke that you spend half the time playing a lute, and half the time tuning.) it should stabilize after awhile somewhat.
I'll need to make a case for it.
IMG_0029_zps0ttnxrmx.jpg

IMG_0032_zpstzieqo71.jpg

IMG_0035_zpsjktqldcv.jpg

IMG_0041_zpssnasaj6n.jpg

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Chris, I said this before, but that is one cool musical instrument! Enjoy!

walrus

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The lefty is my Bro. He gets his lutes made in England by some hot shot luthier who has about a 2 years wait on order completion.... :shocked:
He owns a dozen, along with baroque guitars, theorbos, and other early stringed animals.
Been into this stuff most of his life.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The lefty is my Bro. He gets his lutes made in England by some hot shot luthier who has about a 2 years wait on order completion.... :shocked:
He owns a dozen, along with baroque guitars, theorbos, and other early stringed animals.
Been into this stuff most of his life.
Ask him what to do when a fret keeps slipping. My first fret is a little loose in its proper position, so I knock it out of position sometimes with my thumb.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Got his response, here is the translation:
"If the fret is not too worn, a piece of tape on the back of the neck will do the trick to avoid the shifting, otherwise, and the best solution, is to replace it.
You will need two things for this: Some fret gut, and the exact dimension of the fret (if you don't know it, carefully measure the old fret after cutting it).
He also says that there are tutorials on youtube (why am I not surprised) on how to replace these frets, and that he occasionally replaces some without any trouble.

While I'm at it, here is a page of his luthier's website with one of the lutes he built for him at the bottom of the page (the lefty):
http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/7.htm

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I will never, ever again grumble about keeping a mere 12 strings in tune.

Very pretty.
I'm just thankful it's not a Baroque lute, with 10 or 11 courses (19-21 strings). Or an archlute, etc. with more bass strings.
8 courses is my limit.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chris, you have been warned.
Seems like guitars serve as a gateway drug to lutes.
I've always had a thing for renaissance/medieval music. There's a much steeper entry fee for the instruments (to get a playable one. Stay away from Roosebecks!)
At some point I'll build a lute myself. And a hurry-gurdy. And...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
At some point I'll build a lute myself. And a hurry-gurdy. And...
Why doesn't that surprise me?
Seriously, I also think this new piece is way cool, I thought those were gut strings in the first photo but never knew there was such a thing as "fret-gut".
Had a buddy with a lute in high school and the thing was heavy.
Don't remember for sure but think it might actually have been a baroque lute.
Just remember holding it a couple of times and realizing tuning was an absolute mystery.
Had only been playing guitar casually for a couple of years at that point as it was.
I DO remember it had classical nylon strings for frets though. Or at least I thought thy were strings, maybe it was nylon specially gauged for use as frets?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
And a hurry-gurdy. And...

Let's talk. There are times and places where what is needed is not a bass. I keep thinking a hurdy-gurdy (Donovan not withstanding) might be something I could learn to play and would use.

The only thing worse than tuning all those strings is having to make sure the somewhat moveable frets are also in the right place. I admire folks with that kind of patience.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Let's talk. There are times and places where what is needed is not a bass. I keep thinking a hurdy-gurdy (Donovan not withstanding) might be something I could learn to play and would use.
This charming young fraulein would agree.