1960 t-100

Reaction score
I found this in a pawn shop. Someone had painted it with a brush. I took off the hardware and stripped the paint off it. That was 15ish years ago in Atlanta. I moved to Oregon about that time and I brought it with me. It sat for a few years and I hired a guitar shop in the area to get it going again. I called after an extended time to check the progress and the guy doing the repairs had skipped town (with a few guitars). Luckily, he left mine. So, here it is. I will upload some photos, but it is a F-100 from 1960. I'd like to get it going again, but it needs some TLC. I will say I've played it and it sounds great. When I first got it, the top of the guitar was peeled off. The guy who was doing some work on it glued some wood on and it needs trimmed. He also put the ribbing on the outside of the body (but he didn't use the black and white, just white). The pickups were replaced before I got it. Like I said, I really know nothing of repairing guitars. I'd like to get it worked on (again), but live in a pretty remote area of Oregon. Guess I could take it to Salem or Eugene...maybe Portland. Anyhow would like to know if anyone has any thoughts on this. I created a shutterfly album if anyone wants to take a look at it. I guess it is one of those things where I'm not sure how great it could look again. Maybe it is in my best interests to just get it playing again and not worry too much about "restoring" it.

Thanks and I appreciate any feedback.

https://1960t100guildrefurbish.shutterfly.com/pictures

Last edited by a moderator:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Ruralite! It looks from the label like you have a T-100 blonde double pickup. Yeah, it looks like it's been rode hard and put away wet. Guild has reissued the proper pickups and they can be purchased at the Guild store. There is a coupon code this month. The safest bet would be "send it to Fixit". http://www.jacobscustomguitars.com/

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey there, Ruralite. Welcome to LTG!

From the many testimonies here, and the fact that Fixit is a former Guild luthier/technician, you can't go wrong.

If you want to stay local, Jim @ Guitar Works is my go-to guy here in Portland. I've had him do refrets, neck resets, and deep restoration work on a number of 50s and 60s vintage instruments. His work is impeccable, and he's a great guy to work with. I wouldn't trust anyone else here in town to do vintage restoration work on my gear.

Reaction score
Nice! I'm sure Fixit would be awesome too, sounds amazing. I'm guessing it's a $200$300 shipping bill to FL right out of the starting blocks.

As with most things I don't know about, I'm guessing the cost of this could run into high triple digits, so I will contact your Portland guy as well.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hey there, Ruralite. Welcome to LTG!

From the many testimonies here, and the fact that Fixit is a former Guild luthier/technician, you can't go wrong.

If you want to stay local, Jim @ Guitar Works is my go-to guy here in Portland. I've had him do refrets, neck resets, and deep restoration work on a number of 50s and 60s vintage instruments. His work is impeccable, and he's a great guy to work with. I wouldn't trust anyone else here in town to do vintage restoration work on my gear.

DannyF

Reaction score
Very cool project Ruralite, and maybe not much to lose from pursuing a real ground up restoration -- please share some pics on the other side :) I can imagine that coming out gorgeous.

Reaction score
Agreed! I did call Jim @ Guitarworks, Portland. Will take it by next time I head that way

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG. I think that you will find this a great place to hang out! We like folks who salvage and restore old Guild guitars.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "the top of the guitar was peeled off". Most Guild electric archtops are of laminate construction that has been "steam molded" in an hydraulic press. This is not a bad thing. Guitar builders don't want to carve a solid piece of spruce for a top... and then cut holes in it for the pickups. The top and back of your guitar are probably maple/poplar/maple (source: adorshki :teapot:).

The problem is that sometimes a person will go to refinish one of these guitars... not realizing that it is of laminate construction. It can be easy to sand right thru the top laminate, which is usually a beautifully figured sheet of maple. Heavy use of paint remover can also de-laminate a guitar top! I don't know if this is the situation with your T-100 B DP.

Also, as you know, the Strat style pickups are not original to the guitar. It probably left the factory with white Franz P-90 style pickups or white Dearmond Dynasonic style pickups. Both PUs have been reissued by various manufacturers. Good Luck with your project. I'm sure others will weigh in with more helpful info.

Bill