1970 Cherry Burst Single Neck Pickup Starfire!?

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Not really crazy about that color, but the bass looks to be in darn nice condition except for the neck heel cap.

wisconsindead

Reaction score
I wonder why the neck heel cap looks so terrible compared to everything else...?

I agree frono, it looks 10x better than the standard cherry starfire

I must say, I really want to buy this thing!

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
I would think that the heel cap would be an easy fix if you matched the age-yellowing of the binding.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would think that the heel cap would be an easy fix if you matched the age-yellowing of the binding.

I've seen heel caps like that before and several basses where the cap has disintegrated completely. So I think the cap condition is just age. I do note the corrosion on the strap button. That I have never seen before and wonder if it indicates an environmental exposure that sped up the aging of the end cap?

I think the price is reasonable but then again I am not in an acquisition mode.

wisconsindead

Reaction score
I've seen heel caps like that before and several basses where the cap has disintegrated completely. So I think the cap condition is just age. I do note the corrosion on the strap button. That I have never seen before and wonder if it indicates an environmental exposure that sped up the aging of the end cap?

I think the price is reasonable but then again I am not in an acquisition mode.

They state that the corrosion is caused by gassing heel binding. Making me think that this bass truly did just sit in a case undisturbed for a significant amount of time.

There is also a fairly well priced sunburst starfire on Reverb right now...

https://reverb.com/item/4243162-guild-starfire-bass-1966-sunburst

fretwear

Reaction score
There is also a fairly well priced sunburst starfire on Reverb right now...

https://reverb.com/item/4243162-guild-starfire-bass-1966-sunburst[/QUOTE]

nice, looks like a time capsule, the year might be off, acording to the ser # data base, Serial number BA789 puts it in the early 1967, also the offset tug bars look 67ish?
Either way it's looks like a real killer! If I was on the hunt I'd look at snagging this......but that's how I get in trouble, basically tend to leap before I look!!

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
I would prefer it if the color deepened to a darker red, even a translucent burgundy rather than black at the edges (unless I'm not seeing the color in the PICs right). I'm not a huge fan of 2-color bursts that go from a color to black, the Epiphone Casady in "silverburst" being another example. But that's just a personal preference and anyone one else is certainly entitled to like whatever. The condition is truly pretty amazing, color aside.

wisconsindead

Reaction score
This bass finally sold after 2 aggressive price drops and a best offer option, someone got an insane crazy deal on this...hope it was one of you!

Do you know if it sold for $1600 or for less? I thought $1600 seemed like a pretty good deal.

I would prefer it if the color deepened to a darker red, even a translucent burgundy rather than black at the edges (unless I'm not seeing the color in the PICs right). I'm not a huge fan of 2-color bursts that go from a color to black, the Epiphone Casady in "silverburst" being another example. But that's just a personal preference and anyone one else is certainly entitled to like whatever. The condition is truly pretty amazing, color aside.

Interesting. I liked that Silverburst and I also really like this cherry burst. I honestly do not like the regular Cherry versions of the starfire. Something about Bursts in general just scream "BUY ME!" and then the responsible me says "LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!"

fretwear

Reaction score
It sold four $1500, I thought you might have snagged that one? Had your name all over it....:wink-new:

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
"I honestly do not like the regular Cherry versions of the Starfire."

I have only had a couple of cherry-colored guitars (an Epiphone Crestwood and a PRS SE single-cut Soapbar) over the years and never was wild about the color. When I bought my NS SF-I, opaque black was the only other option and I'll take just about ANY translucent color over opaque because I love being able to see the wood grain. Over time, the red on this bass has won me over (probably because I like everything else about it so much) and I can say that I now actally like it.

As far as 'burst finishes go, I don't even care for two-color of any sort that much (e.g.: the old Fender 2-color 'burst). I'll take the standard 3-color 'burst any day but my real fav is probably "tea-burst". I used to have an MIA Epi Riviera that was that color and loved it.

But that's just me. Thank goodness that there's some bass/guitar maker out there to accommodate just about everybody's taste and then, of course, Warmoth if you STILL haven't found something to like (or a boutique outfit if you have the bucks to buy and the patience to wait).

wisconsindead

Reaction score
It sold four $1500, I thought you might have snagged that one? Had your name all over it....:wink-new:

Well I gave it a quick thought but there is really no point for me to buy another sunburst starfire. I'm interested in getting a Mustang bass which would be my next purchase unless I just so happen to buy this cherry burst out of a random moment of intense desire. But it is such a collectors piece (I don't think it's next owner should play it much, personally) that I have a hard time justifying $2000-2500 on art.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
But it is such a collectors piece (I don't think it's next owner should play it much, personally) that I have a hard time justifying $2000-2500 on art.

I think you could play this as much as you want and it will still look great! still a collectors piece even w some light mojo (maybe dont go pete townsend on her!).

also interesting the opinions on the burst. I actually call this a "black cherry burst" as a "cherry burst", to me, has no black at all, like this:

qdwky.jpg

they did the black cherry burst on some other guitars, and cherry burst as well.

I do like that it is mahogany (even w maple sides), and I do like the cherry red mahogany SF bass as well. the mahogany is a little lighter than the maple. They do sound a little different, but still similar. Still the original (maple) sunburst might be my favorite.