Hey G-41 players...string tension /gauge vs scale length?

Reaction score
As some of you know,. I have a 1975 G-41...the huge 17" dread with the long scale (26.5"). I LOVE it!

When I changed strings, I put D'Addario 13's on it...thinking longer scale needs heavier gauge strings.
But after thinking about it, I'm not sure this is correct.

I know that one of the advertised benefits of the shorter scale (24.6) vs reg scale (25.5) is less tension with the same gauge strings.
If that's the case, then the 26.5 scale would have a lot more tension already...and by putting 13's on it...that REALLY makes it high tension, right?

Can the guitar itself withstand that kind of tension over long periods of time? Should I change to 12's? (I like 12's as well)
On most of my acoustic guitars (JF 30's) I'm using 12's. (I have 13's on the N.H. F-50, cuz that's what Guild put on it originally)

Does anyone know what string gauge Guild had in mind for the G-41?

Thanks,

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Retro, Just to clarify for you the longer the scale length, the more tension it takes the same size strings to reach pitch. The G41 should have a 26.25" scale length. I run 13's on my G41 when I play it tuned down 1/2 a step from standard. I run 12's when I tune it to standard tuning. The 13's 1/2 step down actually equals out to the same overall string tension as a set of 12's in Standard tuning +/- a couple of pounds. I am pretty sure the G41 came from the factory with 12's on it as most Westerly made Guild acoustics did. I have played the G41 at standard tuning with 13's on it before but always back off the tension after I am done playing so I don't put any more stress on the long scale neck than necessary. Hope this helps!

TX

Punkybub

Reaction score
I've got one of these beasts and I struggled with the tension even with .12s on it at pitch.

Like txbumper57 I ended up with 13's but I keep mine tuned a full step down. It's a comfy
tension and for me (capo-averse) it's easier to transpose on the fly.

They're such interesting instruments. Too bad they didn't make any with rosewood
instead of 'hog.

I love acoustic guitars!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I recently strung my D25Br with EJ19s, medium tops strings, a .25 G string (which I now find critical), and light bottom strings (B/E). Fantastic tension mix. Really helps drive the X braced, non-scalloped top. Hog is such a hard wood, and true mediums just feel to tense. But the D'Addario EJ 19s are sweet. Joe is a visionary.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I recently strung my D25Br with EJ19s, medium tops strings, a .25 G string (which I now find critical), and light bottom strings (B/E). Fantastic tension mix. Really helps drive the X braced, non-scalloped top. Hog is such a hard wood, and true mediums just feel to tense. But the D'Addario EJ 19s are sweet. Joe is a visionary.
I'm quite happy with the EJ19s, thank you. :peaceful:

Joe

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
m7atsk.jpg

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, before all this I took it back to my tech and had him level and dress the frets.
Nice level frets, new hand-cut bone nut, saddle and pins...and mahogany back and sides on a huge, long-scale dread! Sweet!

Anyway, just now re-strung it with .12s (EJ16's)...made a slight tweak to the truss rod. Plays a lot easier and still sounds great!
(I might look into the EJ19's at some point)

There's an ever-so slight "ping" or "sizzle" on the 1st 'E' note on the B string...(B string, 5th fret) that I can't quite describe..and actually it might be more of an indication of the way I play than anything else...cuz I picked up a couple of other Guilds in the shop and they all did the same thing at anywhere from the 4th to the 7th frets...but only on the B string! But I modify where and how I strum and I can pretty much get rid if it. Funny, both my JF 30's do the same thing...but not my F50. Hmmm....

But all-in-all...Guild heaven!

nrand

Reaction score
I have never seen or heard one of these in person - I learned something new today!

I found txpbumper57's demo on soundcloud - what a big sound these have!

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Funny, both my JF 30's do the same thing...but not my F50. Hmmm....

Hmmmmm.....New Hartford definitely changed top radius on D55's, in fact all the dreads, "IIRC".
I always assumed it was to help deal with medium gauge being spec'd, wonder if that applied to F50's as well, would make sense (they got mediums too).
Wwhat do you put on it?

Reaction score
I have the .13's (medium) on my F50. You (Al) told me it came from the factory that way (in a previous thread), and it feels just fine. It never buzzed even when I had the 12's on it. Its just an amazing guitar!
And I play all of my guitars often enough to keep my eye on 'em. (And it keeps my fingers in shape.)
I'm always checking for neck relief, straightness, belly bulge...things like that. And I use primarily standard tuning.

I was just curious about the G-41 because of its big size and long scale. I've never had a guitar like this, so I didn't know about tension vs scale vs string gauge. But the 12's feel great on it and it sounds amazing! (Thanks again Richard!)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have the .13's (medium) on my F50. You (Al) told me it came from the factory that way (in a previous thread), and it feels just fine. It never buzzed even when I had the 12's on it.
Right, I knew they shipped 'em with .13's just don't remember ever seeing concrete statement they changed top radius on 'em too. Would only seem to make sense though.
So thought the first variable there re "pinging" was the instrument construction itself and the 2nd would be what the NH was strung with..

Reaction score
The NH F-50 isn't pinging...its the G-41 and the 2 JF30s. And all at the B note on the B string. (B string, 5th fret)
The G41 did it with 12's and 13's....the JF30's with 12's (I don't think I tried 13's on those yet).
Its not a horrendous problem...and it's not a rattle or a buzz...just a slight nuisance! LOL
I just kinda modify how I play that note or string.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Right, I knew they shipped 'em with .13's just don't remember ever seeing concrete statement they changed top radius on 'em too. Would only seem to make sense though.
So thought the first variable there re "pinging" was the instrument construction itself and the 2nd would be what the NH was strung with..

I remember when I bought my F50R and F512 New Hartford models Brand New and went to the Guild site to research the specs. It has sense been changed to not include the top radius on the website but IIRC the New Hartford Top Radius was 20 or 25 Feet for both models and it was listed in the specs. This is also when the Factory Strings were listed for the F50R as being Daddario EXP17's and the Factory strings for the F512 as being the Daddario EXP38's. I had to order in the EXP strings for the first 6 months or so of owning both as my local shop only carried EJ's at the time and I wasn't paying the ridiculous $18 a set for the 6 string version and $25 a set for the 12 string versions at Guitar Center. I can get them online for $5 and $10 respectively if I watch for the specials.

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The NH F-50 isn't pinging...its the G-41 and the 2 JF30s.
Right, got that. It was the only one that didn't ping, thus the place of manufacture was variable #1.
Not knowing what you had it strung with made that variable #2.
Since it doesn't ping with factory-spec strings that'd imply that construction is the key difference.