What the Crap, GC?

Neal

Reaction score
I was in Richmond today, and decided to stop by Guitar Center to play a vintage Martin D-18, just for educational purposes, mind you.

I went straight for the high-end acoustic room, and the first thing I noticed was that the display on the humidifier was alternating "F" and "20". I own the exact same humidifier and knew exactly what that meant. "Fill" and "20% RH". The humidifier was bone dry, as was the room containing easily $30,000 worth of high-end Martins and Gibsons.

Next thing I noticed was that the action on the D-18 was high, and the wood had that "parched" look to it. Next thing I discovered was that all of the guitars in the room were dry and had high action.

The sales guy was in there trying to sell a customer a Martin D-35, discounted because it had a hump in the neck where it joins the body. The sales guy actually said, out loud, that the hump might go away "once the guitar is properly humidified". Evidently, it did not cross his mind to add water to the humidifier in the "climate-controlled" acoustic room to help rectify the situation.

I then went across the hall to where the high-end Taylor's are kept and, guess what that humidifier showed? Yep. "F" and "21".

I mentioned this to the guy at the counter as I was buying picks, which I presume are unaffected by low humidity, and he seemed utterly indifferent to the fact.

I almost feel like driving back down there tomorrow to see if either humidifier has water in it. My guess would be no.

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Weird. When I 1st saw the post only the 1st line was showing. Or, maybe not and it's my old age sh-- going on again. Who knows??? Surely not I.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Weird. When I 1st saw the post only the 1st line was showing. Or, maybe not and it's my old age sh-- going on again. Who knows??? Surely not I.
No, I saw it too.

Or did I?

(Notice it shows he edited his post. Like I did this one.)

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When they took away their comission, they took away their drive to fill the humidfiers? I'll admit it's a pain in the a$$ depending on how far away the water source is..... but it's just a way of life here in the land of the parched. I woke up at 2 am last night thirsty, and realized I'd forgotten to fill my water bottle. So I got up and went into the kitchen and then looked at the humidifiers and they were both flashing the F and so I was carrying pitchers of water and filling the side tanks all in the dark because I didn't want to turn on a light and wake up. It would have been comical to watch I'm sure. But at least the guitars are okay..... :stupid:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Earlier, I got the first line only, too. Thought it was me!

Great (but sad) story, Neal! I feel bad for those guitars...

walrus

Neal

Reaction score
Relax, guys. You are not losing it. I inadvertently hit Post Quick Reply after typing the first sentence. The rest was added, using the Edit feature.

The D-18, by the way, I would not care to own. Very dead-sounding, although some of its lack of resonance and sustain could have been the old strings. It had nowhere the tone of my Huss and Dalton mahogany dread, which is based on the D-18 design.

I also went next door to Sam Ash, and played a new Oxnard M-20, which I found surprisingly boxy, and a Westerly Series OM-240CE with the arch back, that was an absolute bargain at the $449 price.

The best Guild on the wall, however, was a GAD F-50R (first generation) that was just a wonderful instrument at $549. I almost walked out with it.

One more item of note (and I think this has been thoroughly covered elsewhere). The Westerly Guilds have on their label "Designed in California". Nothing mentioning that they are actually made in China. The misinformed might rightfully believe that they are made in Oxnard, which I think is pretty sleazy.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just like the iPhone! Except they add a second important statement, that Guild does not: "Designed in California. Assembled in China.".

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Just like the iPhone! Except they add a second important statement, that Guild does not: "Designed in California. Assembled in China.".

walrus

Yeah I'm still having trouble with how Oxnard's getting around the Country of Origin labeling requirement.
Of course, there's tons of loopholes in it, but still....I'm thinking for something like a guitar it's gotta be on there somewhere, and it's supposed to be readily visible to the consumer too.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If it were just a matter of putting water in the things, that makes it fairly simple, if a bit tedious. But if they're the wick type filters, those get all stiff and crusty depending on how hard the water is in your area and you have to replace them because they quit working. If the water doesn't wick up into the filter, the humidifier won't work. I just bought $200 of wicks from Sunbeam and they should last me a little over a year. But it's an expense and it takes effort. Then there are chemicals you can buy to keep bacteria from growing and also to reduce the mineral buildup on the wicks which does prolong the life of the filter. But it's not cheap and just ads to the list of stuff to you have to do to keep humidifiers working well and doing their jobs. So it's not just a matter of filling them with water and forgetting them. They require cleaning and maintenance and upkeep and $$ to keep them working.

I live in the desert, ask me how I know...... :distress:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Here in Michigan I do all the same stuff Tom does re. humidifers but only during November–April or so. Rest of the year I often have the opposite issue: keeping the house dry enough.

Nothing about GC surprises me. Dead corp(se) walking…though the folks keeping it stumbling along must see the alternative as even worse.

-Dave-

Neal

Reaction score
I agree that maintaining proper humidification is a chore. But, given the size of the investment, shouldn't keeping a healthy RH in the high-end acoustic rooms be a priority for Guitar Center staff?

I can say that, in this instance, the lack of humidity made the guitars harder and less enjoyable to play, which, were I in the market, would dissuade me from purchasing one.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Neal, not disagreeing with you at all. It's totally worth it and were I a GC manager I'd work out a rotation schedule for the staff and monitor it because it's protecting a HUGE investment. With my guitars and then ad in Don's as well, there's maybe $15K in guitars here. That's probably small beans to a lot of you, but it's a LOT to me and the thought of ruining these instruments from laziness and negligence is just more than I can fathom.

I'd probably be talking to or writing to the GM of that GC to see what kind of response I'd get. And if it was a poor one, possibly contacting the corporate office. But then again, I keep wondering why businesses fail and also why I care more about their inventory than they do. And then you wonder if those two things are related.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I agree that maintaining proper humidification is a chore. But, given the size of the investment, shouldn't keeping a healthy RH in the high-end acoustic rooms be a priority for Guitar Center staff?
Specifically it ought to be on the Store Manager's daily list, or at least there should be a specific person(s) assigned to the task and he should be monitoring.
I can say that, in this instance, the lack of humidity made the guitars harder and less enjoyable to play, which, were I in the market, would dissuade me from purchasing one.
That's how to hit 'em where it hurts, and if it were me, I'd start by calling and educating the manager.
For all we know, (s)he may come from a completely different retail background and be utterly clueless about the importance.
Mangers aren't hired for specific knowledge of an industry, they're hired for their ability to "Manage", especially in GC's current state of affairs.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Neal, not disagreeing with you at all. It's totally worth it and were I a GC manager I'd work out a rotation schedule for the staff and monitor it because it's protecting a HUGE investment.
Tom we really gotta work out this ESP thing.
I ain't buyin' this "Great minds think alike" BS anymore.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Okay, as what has become a way of life for me lately, I'm confused. Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't lack of humidity actually lower the action in most cases when it comes to acoustic guitars and could cause string buzz among other things?

I agree, there's absolutely no excuse for an acoustic guitar retailer not to maintain proper humidity.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom we really gotta work out this ESP thing.
I ain't buyin' this "Great minds think alike" BS anymore.
HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAA!!! Oh that was funny. It's just the way our minds work. I think, "Okay, this is a problem and I'm in charge so.... how do I fix this?" And I think both our minds just go there, but as you say..... not all GC management these days come from a musical instrument background and the minions are not going to go around finding more work for them to do, so possibly ignorance?

Anyway, best YUCK of the day, so far!! :encouragement: