Odd pickguards on D-44

readingbill

Reaction score
I just bought a 1970 D-44 with ill-fitting double pickguards that look as though they weren't made for this guitar.

Do they look like factory-installed pickguards? I have seen photos of some Guilds with the pickguards fitted to the inner rosette ring but none this close to the soundhole.

I'm thankful for any help anyone can offer.
Bill

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm with you Bill -- these look like after-market add-ons to me too. Guild may have installed them at the original owner's request for something to protect the top from a heavy strummer, but they are atypical of Guild's usual pickguard placement.

Is it possible a later owner put them on to cover up damage to the top?

readingbill

Reaction score
I'm with you Bill -- these look like after-market add-ons to me too. Guild may have installed them at the original owner's request for something to protect the top from a heavy strummer, but they are atypical of Guild's usual pickguard placement.

Is it possible a later owner put them on to cover up damage to the top?

The guitar is being delivered, so I won't be able to check out the top for a few days. I hope there isn't damage there.

I was wondering how much Guild was like Gibson back in those days, pretty much using whatever was on hand for something like pickguards.

Thanks for the quick reply!

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The "less than clean" curves and close fit to the soundhole suggest to me that they were made and added later.

My (now departed) '71 D-44:
104379117.jpg

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
yeah, I still like it though.wish i still had my double PG 1973 D40. ugliest dread you ever did see.
and i believe a few of us proved that the double pg or no pg at all impacts tone in a minimal if at all way.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The "less than clean" curves and close fit to the soundhole suggest to me that they were made and added later.

My (now departed) '71 D-44:
104379117.jpg
Right.
Dread 'gards had their own shape as evidenced by yours.
They actually look like F-body style 'gards, in fact dual 'gards was a popular option on F50's (see Bonnie Raitt):

e65c25f1-c623-4c93-81ce-010d6a39a943.JPG

Guild was always impeccable about aesthetics on their factory work, I'm 100% positive that's not factory, even as a retro-fit.