John Denver and Cass Elliot Leaving on a Jet Plane

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hadn't seen that before, Rich. Great one!

Interesting that even though that guitar definitely looks big enough to be the F-612, I'm not 100% sure... I couldn't make out checkered binding, which is unique to that model. That said, the video was not that clear.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great video! Those were the days - singers singing and playing live, no need for a big dance production or fireworks...

Cass Elliot was a great harmony singer.

Gotta love the beginning - "Get out the vote" - 1972! Some things never change...

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That is one of my all time favorite live performances ever. The video is from the the DVD set of Burt Sugarman's Midnight Special. I have the DVD set and it is well worth it. Lots of great performers and timeless moments like John and Cass. Not only could she sing but she was a hell of a writer too. I will have to pull out the DVD set to make sure but I am 95% positive that John is playing one of his F612's in that clip. I know mine sounds just like it.:cool-new:

TX

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, no I agree TX. It certainly appears to be the right size. I'm just not seeing the checkering that I expect.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Yeah, no I agree TX. It certainly appears to be the right size. I'm just not seeing the checkering that I expect.
I see from other YouTube videos of Denver that he also played the F-212xl, and other 12 string brands as well. So, chaz might be right that the axe is not the F-612, but rather an F-212xl. Whatever, he was a great one, no doubt, whatever he played. I have my own version of "Country Roads" which I play on my F-412.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I see from other YouTube videos of Denver that he also played the F-212xl, and other 12 string brands as well. So, chaz might be right that the axe is not the F-612, but rather an F-212xl. Whatever, he was a great one, no doubt, whatever he played. I have my own version of "Country Roads" which I play on my F-412.

The difference in the F612 I believe he is playing and the 212XL and F412 Special he played is that the F612 Is wider, Deeper, and Longer scaled than the others. Not all F612's got the same Checkerboard binding or checkerboard rosette for that matter. While F612's all shared pretty much the same dimensions as each other there are inherent visual differences that I have seen between the 3 different batches of 6 each that were made. Different bindings and different rosettes not to mention different pickguards as well.

Just for giggles Here is the size comparison between the standard jumbo 12 string and the F612 so you can see the difference and compare to the video. You can see in the picture how much bigger the F612 Actually is compare to the standard Guild Jumbo sized F512

Jey0R0.jpg

One other thing to point to this being a F612 is when the video was taped. This was taped in 1972. John had already been playing a F612 at this point for a few years as his first F612 was one of the first ones made on custom specs from Carlo Greco. His second F612 was from the 1971 batch (same as mine) if I recall correctly. By 1972 he would have almost certainly been playing the F612 for the majority of his performances. Most of the performances I have seen him play with the F412 Special and the F212XL where from the late 60's.

Regardless this is still my Favorite all time performance of this song!

TX

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes indeed, those were the days. Thanks for posting that, Rich.

The Midnight Special! Man, I loved that show.

That was just a couple months before my first son was born.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great video. Didn't know there was a bigger Guild jumbo 12 than the 212XL / F512 size - that 612 is a beast!
If my F212XL is 17"... the 612 looks like 18"+

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
TX,
Your collection is amazing for its quality and depth. If I lived in your neighborhood I'd being visitin' for sure.