Bummer

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just got an absolutely mint Starfire for from mid-late '90s and the bridge pickup volume appears to be wonky.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Maybe it's an easy fix; loose wire or bad switch. Hope so!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe it's an easy fix; loose wire or bad switch. Hope so!

There's no such thing as an easy fix when it comes to guitars like a Starfire. :cool:

It could be a bad solder joint on the volume pot, but I don't expect to see things like that on a Westerly Guild. Still, things happen so who knows. Whatever it is I can fix it so it's not the end of the world. It's just a bummer to have to.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Look on the bright side - don't you have all those extra pickups to play with? Good excuse to try a few!

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You think it might be on the switch end instead of the pots? I have had a few switches go out over the years on Westerly models and one of them was causing the Bridge pickup volume to fluctuate making it sound like a bad pickup. It's a long shot but the switch is a lot easier to pull and check out rather than the pots. Probably a long shot but just a suggestion to check out. I don't envy you having to pull the pots on that semi hollow.

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Look on the bright side - don't you have all those extra pickups to play with? Good excuse to try a few!

walrus

That's actually why I bought this guitar. I'm working on a huge pickup comparison article (or three) and decided to get a Starfire to do pickup swaps in. The plan is to convert the wiring to have quick-release connectors to facilitate swapping. I would *really* like for the guitar to be otherwise stock, so if I have to replace one of the pots then it won't be which is what I'm most bummed about.

I can do all the work, but working on a semi-hollow like this is a huge PITA. As the managers in corporate America like to say, it is what it is.

Last edited: