Body shape changes: 1950's - 1970's and beyond

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

My name is Teddy and I'm a new member.

Can anyone tell me when Guild began making the various changes in the shape of the bodies on the Artist Award, A-500 and 350's, etc from the really unique shape in the 1950's to the modern shape we see today. It looks like the first changes on the AA happened sometime in the early-mid '60's, and happened again in the 1970's (I think).

That original 1950's shape is my absolute favorite of all the manufacturers during that period. It's the only archtop guitar that has fit the contours of my body perfectly when sitting down and is extremely comfortable to hold sitting down. I'm casually looking for a '50's A-500 or 350. If I could find an AA from that era for a good price that might be the ticket....or perhaps an AP AA.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or further information I'd love to read it!

Have a great weekend,

TeddyG

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome Teddy !

I can't answer your question directly, but I would highly suggest this:
51POXMaCA4L.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Guild-Guitar-Book-Hans-Moust/dp/0634009664

If it is known, it's probably in there, and as an added bonus, Hans is a member here and often answers questions like yours.

Sleeko

Reaction score
Well that book pretty much says it all. But by the same token, we all have our preferences on body shapes. Although I own a few different shaped/brand guitars, I must say my Corona built Savoy X-150 fits like a glove. Although one of my least expensive, I think it's one of my most elegant looking guitars.
I've heard others on here say it has an odd shape. :afro: Whatever floats your boat there Pickles. There are very few Guild archtops that I don't like, but that's just me. :rolleyes-new:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Reaction score
Thanks everyone who took the time and posted.

I was hoping that would be a couple, three archtop afficianatos here that could post a timeline on this topic or perhaps just share some thoughts and ideas. I've been eyeballing that book for awhile now and almost pulled the trigger and ordered it but the stack of unread books made me think twice. I'm a full time player with a 4 year old and didn't think my life was stressful enough so at 45 I decided to get my masters degree. I just don't have the time anymore which sucks because I love reading guitar books like that. A quick pass through groups like these is where I get my fix these days. Oh! I wonder if my libraries (town or school) can get it?? I'll let you know!

Hope you all had nice weekends!

TeddyG