Decrease in volume

Antney

Reaction score
Could the inevitable drop in humidity in the winter cause a noticeable drop in a guitar's volume? Nothing is different with the guitar...new strings (elixirs), plenty of saddle, string height and angle are fine, I'm not the most diligent guy when it comes to humidifying the guitar. The guitar doesn't sound bad, just quieter. Any suggestions?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It is my experience that HIGH humidity correlates with a more muffled tone (not so much volume, more a lack of clarity). For that reason, I keep my guitar room set at the low end of the RH scale... at about 40% RH. I notice the change during our rare wetter weather patterns, when the RH in my guitar room goes up into the high 50s.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Nothing is different with the guitar...new strings (elixirs),"

Those two things don't go together.
:cool:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It is my experience that HIGH humidity correlates with a more muffled tone (not so much volume, more a lack of clarity).
Yeah, my D25 perks up noticably in late spring when it's at its lowest around here, and is noticably muffled (to my well-accustomed ear) during late summer thunderstorm season when it's at its highest, even though the range is only from 45-55% anyway. Virtually ideal.
Interesting question Antney.
Don't doubt the validity but suspect a different cause is at work, possibly temperature of guitar itself?
I'm also remembering D25 also likes it best in high '70's/low '80's, again, late spring temps around here..

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"Nothing is different with the guitar...new strings (elixirs),"

Those two things don't go together.
:cool:

I assumed he meant the strings were new as in "shouldn't be going dead", as opposed to "just changed and now it's quieter"
:friendly_wink:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I assumed he meant the strings were new as in "shouldn't be going dead", as opposed to "just changed and now it's quieter"
:friendly_wink:

Assumptions bring down the Internet. :peaceful:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It is not unheard of to get a set of Elixirs or any String brand that go dead quick or aren't quite right out of the box. This happened to me with Elixirs a few years back and is the ultimate reason I don't use them anymore. Just a possibility. Are they the same type of Elixirs you have been using? Someone didn't give you a set of Polywebs as opposed to Nanowebs on accident did they? Or perhaps a lighter gauge than you were originally running?

TX

Last edited:

Antney

Reaction score
Same strings as always...I meant that the strings weren't old. Checked my ears for wax build up...no more than normal (tmi?)

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now there is an out of the box troubleshooting step ! Maybe a little tmi, but around here, that's hard to really do. :)

Neal

Reaction score
Take a look at your bridge and make sure it is still firmly attached. Also, take a look at the bridgeplate underneath. Finally, make sure that your saddle is firmly seated in its slot.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Neal, the other day I heard a guy comment about me, "I don't think his saddle is firmly seated in it's slot!" I thought he was implying something else...... maybe my volume was just low that day. It could happen.....

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Neal, the other day I heard a guy comment about me, "I don't think his saddle is firmly seated in it's slot!" I thought he was implying something else...... maybe my volume was just low that day. It could happen.....

Might as well out myself now.
I'm experiencing symptoms of an illness which causes fluctuations in hearing sensitivity.
Initial presentations were severe vertigo and sporadic tinnitus.
When researching possible causes found that tinnitus is pretty common, but one cause is an inflammation of the inner ear labrynth (labrynthitis).
It can occur without tinnitus or vertigo yet still affect hearing.
What's kind of fascinating to me is that sometimes my hearing sensitivity is definitely heightened, which is kinda neat if I didn't have to deal with the other stuff.
BTW I'm 60 almost 61 and apparently tinnitus gets pretty common around that age.
Labrynthitis more common in '40's and is normally "self-resolving".
It does give sporadic reduction in hearing sensitivity and in my case there's some noticeable feeling of "fullness", again, only periodically, and it doesn't always coincide with decreased hearing sensitivity.
Just in case it's something else the OP might want to consider.

Last edited:

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
If there was an answer to the question I didn't read one but, FWIW, the answer is "no"; low humidity doesn't quiet the guitar but it does make it sound like crap. LOL

Antney

Reaction score
Take a look at your bridge and make sure it is still firmly attached. Also, take a look at the bridgeplate underneath. Finally, make sure that your saddle is firmly seated in its slot.

Thanks Neal. All three are good. Maybe it's just my imagination. I just remember it as having more ooomph. I'll fiddle with everything this weekend. Could be just the difference in the pick...using Tortex instead of celluloid for a while now.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Might as well out myself now.
I'm experiencing symptoms of an illness which causes fluctuations in hearing sensitivity.
Initial presentations were severe vertigo and sporadic tinnitus.
When researching possible causes found that tinnitus is pretty common, but one cause is an inflammation of the inner ear labrynth (labrynthitis).
It can occur without tinnitus or vertigo yet still affect hearing.
What's kind of fascinating to me is that sometimes my hearing sensitivity is definitely heightened, which is kinda neat if I didn't have to deal with the other stuff.
BTW I'm 60 almost 61 and apparently tinnitus gets pretty common around that age.
It does give sporadic reduction in hearing sensitivity and in my case there's some noticeable feeling of "fullness", again, only periodically, and it doesn't always coincide with decreased hearing sensitivity.
Just in case it's something else the OP might want to consider.

I'm not sure why you quoted me on this. I was going for humor. Maybe you missed it because of the ringing in your ears, Al. I have that too. Sometimes it gets so bad that I think I'm gonna go crazy and .... yet I have so little to travel to that destination. There is some stuff you can take. I'm sure you've researched it, they're called Lipo Flavenoids I think? I haven't taken them yet. I'm so skeptical of everything that I was waiting to see if it worked for you.... THEN if you don't go crazy.... you'll let me know. Right? Not that I think you should sacrifice yourself for my well being but...... we (I) was talking about humor so........ (damn it's Friday. He won't even see this until Monday. I'm on my own I guess...)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you quoted me on this. I was going for humor.
It was just an opportunity to do some word-play on "my volume" and bring up another possibility related to the fact that we all start to experience hearing degradation as we age and sometimes there're actual disorders that don't display symptoms.
For me it's not just the tinnitus, it was the disabling vertigo which I experienced 3 times over 6 months, lasting for hours.
That's primary diagnostic indication of Meniere's Disease, (2 or more disabling attacks lasting for hours) along with tinnitus and loss of hearing,
But haven't had a vertigo attack for about 4 moths now and another symptom of feeling like affected ear is plugged up has died down along with the tinnitus.
So a little more digging for causes of vertigo led me to labrynthitis which also can cause reduced hearing acuity but usually resolves itself, and it can have no other symptoms at all.
Can be caused by virus and I noticed after I'd had a mild nose cold in February the ear seemed to clear up so thinking maybe I actually had labrythitis.
Just monitoring now.
For anybody reading, wondering why the uncertainty: Actual diagnosis of Meniere's requires extensive testing to rule out other causes, which I'm disinclined to pursue at this time.
Ever priced an MRI scan?

Maybe you missed it because of the ringing in your ears, Al. I have that too. Sometimes it gets so bad that I think I'm gonna go crazy and .... yet I have so little to travel to that destination. There is some stuff you can take. I'm sure you've researched it, they're called Lipo Flavenoids I think?
Yes, girlfriend saw commercial and clued me in but when I researched ingredients noticed there's a megadose of B vitamins included and I already take B supplements and don't feel like screwing around with my current supplements/ levels.
Would be willing to try it if I could just get the isolated flavonoid:
Eriodyctiol glycoside.
Don't feel like eating 10 grapefruits everyday.
Might sour my otherwise disgustingly sunny disposition.
Suspect you might just try using a bunch of lemon zest daily, it's supposed to be found in the peel.
I already use healthy doses of lemon juice in cooking maybe oughta try eating the peels too.
I haven't taken them yet. I'm so skeptical of everything that I was waiting to see if it worked for you.... THEN if you don't go crazy.... you'll let me know. Right? Not that I think you should sacrifice yourself for my well being but...... we (I) was talking about humor so........ (damn it's Friday. He won't even see this until Monday. I'm on my own I guess...)

We're all on our own, at the end....

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score

Yeah, I went through a bout of that in my mid-40s (2005–6). Came on after a sinus infection and stayed to varying degrees for the better part of a year. My left ear could be hyper-sensitive to high frequencies one day & muffled the next, and I could be less or more "dizzy" from hour to hour. Then it suddenly lessened in effect and not long after went away completely. No recurrence since. Weird…

-Dave-