Model Numbers Stamped on Truss Rod Cover - Years?

Reaction score
Googled - but to no avail - any one know what years they did the block font model numbers on the TRC's - guessing it started around 75' - any idea on end dates?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Unless I misunderstand the question, all my '90s Guilds have it as do my Corona Guilds. Here's a 2003 X500T:

5D3_8594_1600.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hmm. Maybe I take that back. My unknown year facotry second Bluesbird from Corona didn't have it:

_B0Z2554_800.jpg

Both of my 2002 Starfire III-90s did not:

_B0Z9453_1600.jpg

Must be more complicated than just the year...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Half in jest I'm gonna say "They used 'em until they ran out".
Examples are also the "True American" truss rod covers.
Originally intended for DCE series, then started being applied on D4's and D25's (mine has one) until around '98, IIRC, meaning I I cant recall seeing one on a later than '98 guitar.
Guild Gallery #1 (c. '98) shows an X-170, An X-700, an SF 4 and an S-100 with marked TRC's, and a blank gold-top Bluesbird and SF2 and 3.
Would it stand to reason that X500 TRC's would last a bit longer than others, being lower production volume ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cool - thanks for the responses - was hoping I could use it for rough date approximations - but guess not. Sounds like 'Used 'em until they ran out' is the probably the best rule of thumb.

So I have a well priced somewhere between 70's and 90's S-100 heading my way :)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool - thanks for the responses - was hoping I could use it for rough date approximations - but guess not. Sounds like 'Used 'em until they ran out' is the probably the best rule of thumb.

well thats good news, congrats! with the S-100 i think very early 70s will have the tailpiece farther away from the bridge, with no text on the TRC. then later 70s would have the text on the TRC but the tailpiece closer to the bridge. then in the 90s the tailpiece is farther back, like where it started...but with text on the TRC. I dont think they made S-100s in the 80s.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

Send picks of the S100 and we can tell you with way more accuracy than we ever could with the truss rod cover. :)

In fact, show the serial number and Hans will likely pop up and tell you exactly when it was made!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you wanna know when your guitar was built (which has already been said) just post a photo (not exactly easy as it has to be hosted elsewhere and linked to here) or post the serial number. We have experts who can clue you in. If you're vague about your questions, then the answers will be vague too. Do you really wanna know when they did that, or do you just want to know when your guitar was built? Or is it both..... let us (them) know.... :encouragement:

Reaction score
Sorry - didn't mean to be vague. In this instance, was trying to figure out a year on a used S-100 that GC had listed - the pictures were bad and the serial number unreadable, so was trying to figure out if I could work out a ballpark idea based on features I could actually see. Guitar is on it's way - can check the serial number on Thursday. Thanks again for all the info - you guys rock.