Shipping problems w/USPS?

Jerry1

Reaction score
I recently shipped a guitar I sold on Ebay. (Luckily not a Guild) I followed all the rules, printed and applied my own USPS shipping label, didn't cover the scan code bar with tape, etc, and dropped it off at my local USPS outlying station. That was last Wednesday. As of today, Sunday, it's not showing in the tracking. I talked to the station where I dropped it off, they remember the package going out the following day, but it doesn't get scanned until it reaches the main post office and so far, no scan recorded. My buyer is frustrated as I am, but Ebay Community has many negative comments about similar experiences. Some even say the tracking scan didn't show up until the package was delivered.

I guess I assumed a feature such as tracking scans would be pretty fool proof, but maybe not. Tomorrow I'll be following up with the main post office. Anyone had any similar problems with the USPS? What could I have done differently for future shipping? UPS or FEDEX?

gilded

Reaction score
I always do 1) signature confirmation and 2) insurance. Both categories have different tracking numbers, so maybe that would help you in the future. Maybe not.

After the Post Office front desk person has all the extra labels attached on the box next to the original shipping label, I'll take pics of all of the info, making sure the signature/insurance tracking numbers are visible. I'll send that pic along to the Buyer so he can see that I did my part and any trouble is with USPS, not me.

Good luck!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
USPS is sometimes lax in scanning; their tracking is worse than the others. Give it a week and see if it shows up. Nothing to do but wait.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love the the USPS for small boxes but I would never ship a guitar with them. I've had many a guitar shipped to me USPS and it's always been a problem, usually because the seller shipped Parcel Post (now Parcel Select). This method costs less than Priority or First but is the "we put it on the truck when there is room" form of shipping and I've had PP packages take a week to go 50 miles.

Default may have better answers.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Never had a problem with USPS, always shipped or received by Express mail. Fedex has been terrible here and UPS spotty. Just got my D-55 from Oregon in less than 36 hours, USPS. Overall, in the last dozen years or so, probably 3-4 guitars from USPS, about the same split between Fedex and UPS.
Brad

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I recently shipped a guitar I sold on Ebay.

Man, I hope that works out, Jerry. I like to receive guitars using UPS, since I can go pick them up from the central facility before they go out on the truck for home delivery. But when shipping guitars, USPS is quite a bit less expensive, and I've had no problems, but I did take them in and have the clerk weigh them, and put their labels on them, etc. Come to think of it, I seem to recall their tracking system was a little flaky, causing considerable unnecessary consternation!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
My experience is also that USPS tracking is lax compared with FedEx or UPS. But speed-wise they're on-par with the others, in my locale anyway. I like getting stuff via UPS because they have a large depot just a short drive from my house. I always change the delivery directions to "Hold for Pickup," so no failed deliveries or packages sitting on my porch.

-Dave-