Fender Twin 5F8 Amp, Circa 1958

tjmangum

Reaction score
Picked this up today. Its been sitting in a basement for a long time. If only it was tweed! What should I do first with it? There's a local tube amp guy I'm thinking of taking it to to have it checked out. I'm mostly an acoustic guy, so not something I will keep. Will it sell best as is, or should I get it cleaned up and recapped? Thanks for any thoughts.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It looks like it's had some alterations beyond the black tolex put on top (maybe?) the tweed. That pot in the back is added, I'm sure there's other things, too. It all depends on if you want to take on a restoration, and the expense that that might entail. Even retweeding it will mean a less than premium price when it's done, since it wouldn't be original. So, it's probably best as a player; which means it just to be working well.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Crap, that looks like a score. Take it to your amp guy. He will get it straightened out.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Whoa! That's a pretty rare amp, was only made for about two years, and was expensive top of the line, so they didn't sell all thàt many. In original condition, those are worth a pretty penny.

Looks like it's been pretty extensively modified though, the RCA cables in the back make me suspect somebody built reverb into it...?

gilded

Reaction score
Great find!

In non-original shape, those amps are worth a lot, too!!! I would think strongly about having it looked at by a really good tech, figuring out what is right and what is wrong, then selling it like it is. If you haven't turned it on, I wouldn't until you get it looked at by the tech. I think original (working) transformers are the most valuable piece of these amps, followed by working speakers with original cones.

For every guy that wants to buy it fixed, there are three buyers who want their favorite amp tech(s) to look at it and do the work. If you posted some pics on a Fender forum in the amp section, you could get some other points of view.

There are usually three top screws that secure the chassis in place, one on either side of the control panel and one a few inches further in towards the center of the amp The third screw holds a bent metal shim in place to take the weight of the power transformer off of the other two screws and prevent the top board of the cab from cracking up. I don't see that 3rd screw in your pics. It may be there, underneath the black replacement tolex.

Good luck with it, TJ. Take your time and make a lot of money!!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Cool amp! If you're gonna sell it I'd recommend leaving it alone cosmetically. Looks to me like someone has added reverb…IMO not a negative if it's been done such that it's totally out-of-circuit when turned off. Agreed re. taking it to a tech and having that person give it a thorough checkout.

-Dave-

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
a rock star friend of mine plays Victoria repros of these. They're the absolute loudest, most gargantuan amps fender did in the tweed era. The circuit is like a tweed bassman, but with twice the output tubes. LOUD!!!

griehund

Reaction score
If its anything like the 5E8A clone, it's wicked loud and clean.

almostCT.JPG

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Griehund, it's a good deal louder than that. twice the output power, more gain, and a more efficient phase inverter. Almost none of the "hi power tweed twins" that are still out there still have their original speakers, two Jensen P12N's are pretty easy to blow with that amp.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
IMO the 5E8A circuit makes for a more practical amp, especially these days with better PAs (potentially anyway) and dB regulations. The 5F8 is like a 100 watt Hiwatt: glorious when cranked up but kinda limited in application. Wouldn't stop me from owning one, though, if I had the room! :)

-Dave- (whose current home amp rig consists of two Vibro Champs, ~5 watts each, running via stereo delay)

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh, even a 5E8A is loud - too loud for a lot of club stages if you're not a pedal guy and want your breakup from the amp. And like I said, the only guy I know pesonally who actually plays a hi-power tweed twin on stage is a bona fide rock star, and the average stage he plays is bigger than the average club I play, ha!

That said, if clean is your bag, or you're a pedal steel guy, it doesn't get much better than a good hi power twin. Clean, but glorious beautiful clean.

tjmangum

Reaction score
Here's a pic with the back open. I've pulled back some of the tolex and it looks like it might have originally been tweed. My, how fashions change.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hey, that doesn't look half bad! yes, it was tweed covered originally.

Looks like the reverb circuit is in the box on the bottom, and the main chassis hasn't been messed with much at all! looks like it might even have the original speakers!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Yum, period-correct yellow Astron caps! Likely original…hope they're all working properly. Wonder if the reverb gizmo does more than just reverb, as it's got three tubes.

-Dave-

Brown-Recluse

Reaction score
That is The Fisher Dynamic SpaceXpander K-10 unit in the bottom of the amp.

The amp looks really good and those are almost certainly the original Jensen P12N speakers. That is a great score and opportunity to make a bunch of money or have a great amp and story.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, tj! Quite the score for a very rare beast of an amp. You don't see those hi-power Twins pop up very often, especially here in Oregon. Good luck with the renovation! If you don't have a competent amp person in Salem, I know a few here in PDX.

tjmangum

Reaction score
Wow, tj! Quite the score for a very rare beast of an amp. You don't see those hi-power Twins pop up very often, especially here in Oregon. Good luck with the renovation! If you don't have a competent amp person in Salem, I know a few here in PDX.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.