Alright here is another one... 1995 DV-6

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
This one appears to be priced well.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/msg/5975232236.html

I owned a Tacoma DV6 that was RW instead of hog that I was not that impressed with... of course it was not a westerly though.. thoughts on these? Price seem fair.. If I check it out and like it I might try to Christian him down a bit..

Neal

Reaction score
Make sure you pay very close attention to neck angle/saddle height/action on this one. From the photos, I detect high action and just a sliver of saddle left.

kdavid

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Agreed that the action looks a bit high...mine is also & needs a bit of work.
This one looks in far. better shape than mine (gigged heavily)
good price & nice guitar

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the insight gents. I did notice the action. I did not notice the saddle. Yeah he has mediums on there. Not sure if that is contributing to the high action. Especially if it not set up for mediums..

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight gents. I did notice the action. I did not notice the saddle. Yeah he has mediums on there. Not sure if that is contributing to the high action. Especially if it not set up for mediums..
Not even built for mediums.
All '95-'04 dreads shipped with 12-53 pb lights, Guild L350.
And those (DV-6's) had shaved (corrected from scalloped) bracing, probably didn't even need mediums.

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
I have a '92 D-6nt-hg (natural, high gloss). It preceded the DV-6, but is very similar.

Mine reminds me greatly & very favorably of a '70s D-40 I had back in the day. Wonderfully full & rich tone. For comparison purposes, I paid $650 for it a couple of years ago, and it's virtually in mint condition.

On the CL DV-6, I do agree that you should check out the neck angle carefully. From what I've seen, many Guilds from this era maintain their original neck angle quite well, so a problem in that area would not be the norm, imho.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a '92 D-6nt-hg (natural, high gloss). It preceded the DV-6, but is very similar.

Mine reminds me greatly & very favorably of a '70s D-40 I had back in the day. Wonderfully full & rich tone. For comparison purposes, I paid $650 for it a couple of years ago, and it's virtually in mint condition.

On the CL DV-6, I do agree that you should check out the neck angle carefully. From what I've seen, many Guilds from this era maintain their original neck angle quite well, so a problem in that area would not be the norm, imho.

My D-6 NGD post engendered some discussion (also including bobouz)on the D-6/DV-6/D-40 family resemblances.

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
My caution about neck angle is hard won. I have made a few mistakes ove the years in buying guitars at a "great price" with skinny saddles in this price range. Nice guitars, but increasingly unplayable, and not valuable enough to invest in a neck reset and not be upside down on value.

A Bridge Doctor can help, as can lighter strings, or shaving a fat bridge, but at some point a neck reset is the only avenue left to achieve playability.

kdavid

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hmmm...wife's getting used to me obsessing about strange & wonderous things
i mentioned to her that according to the serial numbers between this one & Mckaila,
mckaila was made 638 of these after this one.

yah. My wife wasnt too impressed either. :tickled_pink: