Damaged Guild D4 at Zoo Music Ft. Worth - HELP!!!!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello LTG gang. I came across this on CL. I am going tomorrow AM to take a look at it. We agreed that if I like it I would consider taking it home for $180.

I have loaded up these pictures of the large crack down the side. He says it is stable and playable.

Experts - Is this something that will go south quickly in your experience or is it something that can be fixed easily? I need some advice. I see this as a campfire special so not looking to invest. Assuming all else is in order, is $180 decent considering. I think it is, but I have never come up against this type of situation.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
that is quite a fissure D30, I don't know if you will like that once you get it home after a while. I would thing the crack could continue if it were dropped on a corner or something by accident.
I believe 180 is high.

gilded

Reaction score
That store is about 15 minutes from my house, but I've never been able to buy anything from those guys. The employees are nice enough guys, but the absentee owner is a different kind of cat and doesn't sell vintage stuff unless it's messed up. There are a lot of older instruments, amps and drums there, as display items only; the owner doesn't want to sell them.

They tried to sell me a Gretsch import set of drums with missing hardware for more than I could get the same thing new with all the hardware.

Back to the guitar. That is one big crack! I'll send the pics to my in-town repairman tonight and see if he has any thoughts!

Does the guitar have a Guild case?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Run, don't walk, away from that one. Like Rivington Guitars here in NYC, I can't for the life of me understand how stores like this stay in business. Overpriced, poor condition guitars.

gilded

Reaction score
Pictures sent to repairman. Also texted his phone and asked him to look at the pics.

Look and both the end and the neck blocks, too, and see if they are split. Is that side solid wood or laminate? That might be really hard to fit together if it is laminate.......

Hmmm, Sandy, may be right on this one.

If you want to delay your trip, I'll go look at it after I get out of Court, say 1:30pm. PM me your cell phone number and I'll call you.

Harry/gilded

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Gilded! Nope no case.

Yeah I do not have a good history with zoo. The owner is never around like you said and the inventory is a bit of a chaotic grab bag of sh**. I am going to take a look at it while I am in Fort Worth tomorrow for a client meeting. Can't hurt. Thanks for sending those Picts along to your guy. I texted these to Dan McCarthy in Dallas. Have not heard back but would love to get your guys opinion.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Follow up to your 2nd message Harry. I have to be in Fort Worth already for a 9:30 meeting so I am going to go to zoo when the meeting is done. Too bad you have court. Would love to meet another LTG'er.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pictures sent to repairman. Also texted his phone and asked him to look at the pics.

Look and both the end and the neck blocks, too, and see if they are split. Is that side solid wood or laminate? That might be really hard to fit together if it is laminate.......

Hmmm, Sandy, may be right on this one.

If you want to delay your trip, I'll go look at it after I get out of Court, say 1:30pm. PM me your cell phone number and I'll call you.

Harry/gilded

I think the sides are solid on D4s Harry, but that crack looks brutal. I bought one in relatively rough shape a while back of $225, and all it needed was a setup and new saddle. It also had the OHSC. D4s aren't the kind of Guilds you want to sink a lot of money into making right, either IMHO.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sandy- yeah the a place is a mystery. This guy has 3 locations around the D/FW metromess and they all are loaded to the ceiling with things in poor to medium condition.

I have yet to ever see the owner.

I know that should be enough to frighten me but I can't help but at least want to look at it. Especially since I am already in the area..

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nope a D4 is a $350 - $450 in good condition kind of Guild. Great guitars but not worth that kind of investment.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
On a Guitar that Values out with an original Hard Case for between $350-$400 for a perfect condition example I would say that Even $100 is might be High. If you look hard enough you can find these in great shape for $250-$300 and sometimes cheaper.

Personally unless you have it out for someone and the plan of their demise involves an El Kabong guitar, I would run for the hills and I don't even run in emergency situations!! LOL, It is up to you man and checking it out couldn't hurt if you are going to be in the neighborhood as you may find something else you are interested in at the same store but that crack on the D4 looks like the Grand Canyon.

TX

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
On a Guitar that Values out with an original Hard Case for between $350-$400 for a perfect condition example I would say that Even $100 is might be High. If you look hard enough you can find these in great shape for $250-$300 and sometimes cheaper.

Personally unless you have it out for someone and the plan of their demise involves an El Kabong guitar, I would run for the hills and I don't even run in emergency situations!! LOL, It is up to you man and checking it out couldn't hurt if you are going to be in the neighborhood as you may find something else you are interested in at the same store but that crack on the D4 looks like the Grand Canyon.

TX

El Kabong? Is that a sister brand of Esteban?.. yeah I think I am going to stand down... thanks everyone for the input.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
And unfortunately TX there over 7 D4's on reverb right now that are $500 and above. I saw one as high as $800.... not sure what is going on.. my first Guild was a D4 that I bought for $350...

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
And unfortunately TX there over 7 D4's on reverb right now that are $500 and above. I saw one as high as $800.... not sure what is going on.. my first Guild was a D4 that I bought for $350...

They can List the D4's for whatever they want to but what they sell for is a different situation all together. El Kabong was the name of the cartoon character Quick Draw McGraw's Guitar that he used to Whack folks on the head with.

make_way_for_el_kabong_by_gagaman.jpg

TX

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks like a job for Guild duct tape....:highly_amused:

Joe

Joe that thought crossed my mind. I know it would raise a Jack Nicholson caliber eye brow but clamps, would glue and a sander might do the trick. I really don't care about aesthetic. I like tone and I like cheap. Just worried I would be biting off more than I could chew..

Since I would be looking at this one as a traveler duct tape would not be out of the question for me.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
To me my concern would be how these options would affect tone. I am going camping this weekend and I really don't want to take the D30, Eastman or the BR.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think the sides are solid on D4s Harry, but that crack looks brutal. I bought one in relatively rough shape a while back of $225, and all it needed was a setup and new saddle. It also had the OHSC. D4s aren't the kind of Guilds you want to sink a lot of money into making right, either IMHO.
What ^^^^ HE SAID!!! Broken in is one thing. Broken is a whole different ball game. I can't even think why I'd bother with a mess like this.....

wileypickett

Reaction score
Just about anything is repairable, but describing such a crack as this as "stable" is, IMO, flat out dishonest.