Damaged Guild D4 at Zoo Music Ft. Worth - HELP!!!!

kostask

Reaction score
The crack is on the sides, which contributes the least to tone (top and back being more critical, in that order).

That being said, the guitar is very badly injured. This is much more than a hairline crack, it is a gaping split. Splits like that prompt me to wonder if the support braces that are used on the guitar sides are also broken. I would suspect that they are also broken, which in a guitar in this price category makes it uneconomical to repair.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
The crack is on the sides, which contributes the least to tone (top and back being more critical, in that order).

That being said, the guitar is very badly injured. This is much more than a hairline crack, it is a gaping split. Splits like that prompt me to wonder if the support braces that are used on the guitar sides are also broken. I would suspect that they are also broken, which in a guitar in this price category makes it uneconomical to repair.

Agreed. Didn't even think about the braces... that is why I love this place. Thanks kostak!!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, D30Man, don't do it! You'd be throwing your money away. Maybe $50 for a project guitar is all. That break is not stable; far from it.

Reaction score
I think that is high. Don't do it. I have a '92 D4 from a pawn shop that has a number of dings but no cracks (knock on wood). It had hung for some time without selling, for I think $350, until one day when I made him a crazy offer of $150 and he took it. I know I was fortunate in that instance, but you can do better.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have already talked myself out of it LTG'ers. I know I was toying with what was likely to be a big disaster. Thanks for the input.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Truth be told I am relieved to be talked out of that marred D4. Now I can set my sights on this Mark II I have had my eye on for some time. Guy only wants $275 for it..

Neal

Reaction score
As many of you know, I love guitars like this, if they can be had for a decent price and are intended for "high risk" duty.

IMHO, if the rest of the guitar is good (neck angle, headstock, some saddle left, top and back in decent shape, bridge firmly attached, no belly, etc.), I would offer them $150, take it home, humidify it, then apply a liberal dose of titebond to the crack, clamp it, and fashion a few diamond-shaped cleats to reinforce the repair from the inside.

Then play it, use it as a boat paddle, whatever you want!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Truth be told I am relieved to be talked out of that marred D4. Now I can set my sights on this Mark II I have had my eye on for some time. Guy only wants $275 for it..

Ha! awesome.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
As many of you know, I love guitars like this, if they can be had for a decent price and are intended for "high risk" duty.

IMHO, if the rest of the guitar is good (neck angle, headstock, some saddle left, top and back in decent shape, bridge firmly attached, no belly, etc.), I would offer them $150, take it home, humidify it, then apply a liberal dose of titebond to the crack, clamp it, and fashion a few diamond-shaped cleats to reinforce the repair from the inside.

Then play it, use it as a boat paddle, whatever you want!

Neal I thought of you and that D35. As a matter fact I thought along the same repair lines. The guit according to the guy in NOS...

Still think it would be above my pay grade.

jim777

Reaction score
Just about anything is repairable, but describing such a crack as this as "stable" is, IMO, flat out dishonest.

Completely agree on the dishonest point. If this were offered to me for free I would accept so as not to be rude, but I wouldn't pay for it.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Folks lets get down to the heart of the matter. The priority here above all else is making sure the TRC is both original and mounted in the correct position...

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Folks lets get down to the heart of the matter. The priority here above all else is making sure the TRC is both original and mounted in the correct position...

...and that it has the right strings.

westerlyborn

Reaction score
I bought a D4 from ebay with the same fracture, ($230) The gluing and clamping are straight forward, but it needs to be reinforced from the inside every 4" or so- across the grain. There in lies the rub. Clamping wasn't going smoothly. I used epoxy on every strip with a steel plate backing, with a strong magnet outside. It was a pain, but it worked. The repair has lasted 3-4 years- I play it often.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I bought a D4 from ebay with the same fracture, ($230) The gluing and clamping are straight forward, but it needs to be reinforced from the inside every 4" or so- across the grain. There in lies the rub. Clamping wasn't going smoothly. I used epoxy on every strip with a steel plate backing, with a strong magnet outside. It was a pain, but it worked. The repair has lasted 3-4 years- I play it often.

Thanks WB. Yeah if it is up there in the next couple of weeks I might go check it out and make an offer. We'll see.