Damaged Guild D4 at Zoo Music Ft. Worth - HELP!!!!

kostask

Reaction score
Amybody can do whatever they want with a guitar in this shape. I also recognize the wanting to bring this guitar back into good condition, but ihis is not a guitar that can ever be repaired cost effectively. At the very least, in my opinion, all of the side braced would need to be removed, as they appear to br broken, after they are removed; the side would be them be glued and cleated, and clamped for a while for the glue to dry. Then there would need to be new side braces put back into position (quantity undetermined, but the same number of side braces as there were originally), glued in, and clamped ro dry. This is of course dependent on where and who does the work, but there is most likely a minimum of $CAN400. most likely in the $CAN600 range in repair cost. This doesn't even include the finish restoration, it only makes the guitar structurally sound.

It would not be hard to find a $CAN600 D4 in pretty good structural shape.

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Amybody can do whatever they want with a guitar in this shape. I also recognize the wanting to bring this guitar back into good condition, but This is not a guitar that can ever be repaired cost effectively. At the very least, in my opinion, all of the side braced would need to be removed, as they appear to br broken, after they are removed; the side would be them be glued and cleated, and clamped for a while for the glue to dry. Then there would need to be new side braces put back into position (quantity undetermined, but the same number of side braces as there were originally), glued in, and clamped ro dry. This is of course dependent on where and who does the work, but there is most likely a minimum of $CAN400. most likely in the $CAN600 range in repair cost. This doesn't even include the finish restoration, it only makes the guitar structurally sound.

It would not be hard to find a $CAN600 D4 in pretty good structural shape.

Yes this is a fix it yourself campfire / couch guit at best. It would never be pretty.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
if they give it to me for free, I will pay the shipping, slap some duct tape on there, then ship it to D30.

done deal

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
if they give it to me for free, I will pay the shipping, slap some duct tape on there, then ship it to D30.

done deal

Thanks Wood! Dude I would easily try duct tape first - right now Hans and many others are shaking their heads and cursing my stupidity. And if the braces are loose I wont need to bring my kick drum to accompany on my acoustic gigs.. Built in percussion baby!!!!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Wood! Dude I would easily try duct tape first - right now Hans and many others are shaking their heads and cursing my stupidity. And if the braces are loose I wont need to bring my kick drum to accompany on my acoustic gigs.. Built in percussion baby!!!!

it's pretty much the longest soundport I have ever seen. Saves you tons of time in creating your own.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
right now Hans and many others are shaking their heads and cursing my stupidity.

On the contrary; Hans is now searching his Westerly RI vault for a roll of duct tape from that era. It is most likely in a drawer next to the crayola crayons they used for the label info.

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Brown duct tape, please...
or maybe a nice brick red..

Let's meet in the middle and go maroon....

34r88jc.jpg

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
D-Man, I took a look at the subject guitar, or more correctly, what is left of it. The side crack ain't the half of what is wrong with it. The neck/fretboard are in about 1/8" toward the soundhole along with the top - broken loose from the bracing I'd guess. There are two or more cracks in the top from the bridge to the tail block and the entire top looks like waves on the open ocean. Oh, and a cross grain break in the side at the tail

I was told there was a $125 offer which was declined and I could have it for only $215 and change ($200 + tax).

I'm crazy. But not that crazy.

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
If I didn't have several beaters already, I would be thinking strongly about this one at $150.

It is great fun to have a guitar that you absolutely don't care about cosmetically, one on which you can take extreme measures to get playable (not excluding duct tape, belt sander, bridge doctor, etc.).

Perfect to take to an open mic, without a case, drag it across the floor by the strap to the stage, and then play a great song on that leave the audience wanting more out of that old beater.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Perfect to take to an open mic, without a case, drag it across the floor by the strap to the stage, and then play a great song on that leave the audience wanting more out of that old beater.

And if you happen to gig on an island, you can even paddle your way home with it. It's a win/win.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
If I didn't have several beaters already, I would be thinking strongly about this one at $150.

It is great fun to have a guitar that you absolutely don't care about cosmetically, one on which you can take extreme measures to get playable (not excluding duct tape, belt sander, bridge doctor, etc.).

Always the rebel I truly like the way you think sir. Yeah if they would take a hundy or less I would lay it on the work bench and start working.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
D-Man, I took a look at the subject guitar, or more correctly, what is left of it. The side crack ain't the half of what is wrong with it. The neck/fretboard are in about 1/8" toward the soundhole along with the top - broken loose from the bracing I'd guess. There are two or more cracks in the top from the bridge to the tail block and the entire top looks like waves on the open ocean. Oh, and a cross grain break in the side at the tail

I was told there was a $125 offer which was declined and I could have it for only $215 and change ($200 + tax).

I'm crazy. But not that crazy.

Damn so way worse than was told to me by the upstanding sales rep at Zoo music. Thanks for checking it out and giving me the low down. Like I told Neal I would be into it for $100 or less just for the challenge of it.