Flat-wound Strings

Neal

Reaction score
As some of you know, I have become interested (addicted?) to NYC Guild archtops.

One of my recent acquisitions was a ~'53 X-150 redburst prototype that needed a full re-fret and fretboard leveling job, which was done beautifully by my luthier.

Once I got it back, I naturally wanted to A/B it against my very similar '54 X-200S. Both were strung with Elixer Heavy Nanowebs (12-54). The X-200S sounded great. The X-150 sounded somewhat harsh and brittle.

In order to soften the tone a bit, I put some D'Addario Chrome ECG24 flatwound strings on the X-150 and...

Wow. Night and day difference in tone. Warm, rich, but still very articulate.

Funny how two guitars that are virtually identical (except for the cutaway) can respond so differently to string choice.

I have not tried the Chromes on the X-200S, but am now tempted. As is, I can now reach for each of them to get a completely different vibe.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Yep, I find that different guitars like different strings, both in terms of gauge and composition. I wrestled with an old Rickenbacker for ~15 years before stumbling into the magic combo of 12 gauge and flatwound. The guitar came alive, and a I really should sell this instrument turned into one of my favs.

-Dave-

Reaction score
I'll put another vote in for the Thomastiks. Easily the best sounding and playing flatwounds I've had on any guitars. They even beat out the Pyramids by a long shot.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Don't know what it was but I didn't like the Thomastik Flatwound strings. I much preferred the sound of the Daddario Flatwound Chromes. Everyone has different opinions I guess.

TX

Neal

Reaction score
It would be very hard to improve on the tone I am currently getting with the Chromes. Heaven.

I host an open mic night on Wednesdays, and the room has a high-end sound system, including 4 powered speakers and a sub. I plugged the X-150 into my "grab and go" Fender Pro Jr., without anything else in the signal chain, mic'ed up the amp to the system, gave it just a touch of reverb, and boom!

It is precisely the live, unaccompanied sound I have been looking for for a couple of years now. Warm, full, rich, articulate, lots of bottom end (without mud), not a hint of feedback. I was never able to achieve this with any of my K&K-equipped flattops.

Add the look of that old redburst archtop to the equation, and my "act" can now shut up a roomful of chattering people, and I can get my songs heard.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
" And the crowd goes....silent. "
LMAO!!! I have no input on this subject other than at one point I actually put flatwounds on the D65S just for $hits and giggles. I was surprised how good they sounded. Apparently if you have a killer acoustic, it's difficult to make it sound bad. I was learning to play in open tunings and sliding around on the fretboard and the string noise bothered me, so I just gave it a whirl. Wasn't bad at all. Not sure I'd do it again, but it was fun for a minute there...... :stupid:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The Rickenbacker I mention above, a Model 450, didn't care for Pyramid Golds…which put me off trying other flatwounds on it for many years. It was only after putting a set of TI Jazz/Swings on a National archtop, and being knocked out by 'em, that I decided to give 'em a shot on the Rickie. Et voilà!

I did once try a set of GHS stainless flats on my old Supro. Blecchh! Harsh high end, muddy everything else.

-Dave-

ras1500

Reaction score
I currently have Thomastic-Infeld Jazz Swing flat wound strings on my Starfire III. They sound really good, but I don't think they sound much better than D'Addario ECG24's. Considering the cost difference, the D'Addario's are a bargain. Next string change I may go back to D'Addario and bump up the gauge to 12's. On my Strat, Pyramid Gold 11's are the best sounding strings on that guitar. I have not tried Pyramids on the SFIII.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I've got Pyramid Golds 10s on my old Tele and an 11 set on a Rickie 360. They're great on both those guitars, but on the older Model 450 the 11s didn't feel right or sound that good. Probably shoulda tried 12s instead as the guitar's heart started beating again once I put on the TI 12s. :)

-Dave-

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
One of the lessons I've learned from trying various string types & gauges is that there are very few genuine dogs when it comes to guitars. If an instrument is in proper structural shape it'll likely play & sound real good with some gauge/type combo or other. Though I think you have to be a stubborn *semi-hoarder, like me, to keep trying with some of 'em long enough to find the right combo. :)

-Dave-

*When it comes to guitars, that is. There are other areas where I sometimes wish I was less eager to get rid of things.

BOBBYC

Reaction score
I have the daddario chromed on my artist award and Gibson L5. I like them a lot but if I play them a lot it feels like the guitars have steel rods on them rather than strings... Never noticed this sensation on wound or half would strings.

PittPastor

Reaction score
I have the daddario chromed on my artist award and Gibson L5. I like them a lot but if I play them a lot it feels like the guitars have steel rods on them rather than strings... Never noticed this sensation on wound or half would strings.

I have noticed that when playing the flatwounds (I have D'Addario ECG25 Chromes Flat Wounds) my callouses become flat. And when I hit the string the same way as the callous, everything is fine. But if my hand is rotated and I come at it with a different angle... ouch! Really weird. Never had that happen with rounds. But Flat wounds seem to make flat and square callouses -- at least on me.

Anyone ever run Silk and Steel on their archtop? I was wondering -- since I really only play Amped, I think I could lose some volume from the wood and still be OK with it. Just wondering how the DeArmond Rhythm Chief does picking up Silk.

Last edited: