TI Flats for a Newark Street Guild Starfire I

Reaction score
I want to string my Starfire I with TI flats. I am having a hard time, however, figuring out which scale string to buy. The Starfire appears to be a "medium-scale" bass, although I also see it referred to as a short-scale instrument. TI flats come in two lengths - short scale (32") and long (34"). And customer service at Just Strings tells me that the 32" TI's are actually medium scale. So, yes, I'm confused. From what I've been reading, however, it appears that the 32s are appropriate for the Starfire. Can anyone confirm this for me. As pricey as TI's are, I'd hate to get a set of the 32s and find out that they're not long enough. Any advice would be appreciated.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
It's the Guild bridge that causes the confusion, specifically the distance between the bridge saddles and the string anchor holes. That's why even though the bass is a short scale, it generally needs medium-scale strings. Short scale strings may have you winding up with silk in the nut slots. This is also the case with Fender Mustang basses (except the new PJ, a top-loader): the string-through bridge requires the extra length of medium-scale strings.

Disclaimer: I've never tried TIs so can't speak about them specifically. I do know that the above applies to D'Addario Chromes (which is what I usually use) and also DR Legends.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the TI short scale is the same length as D'addario medium scale- use either of those on a SF bass.

D'addario short scale strings would be too short- they only fit on some Gibson/Epiphones, and the Beatles violin bass. (even too short for a Fender Mustang bass!)

gilded

Reaction score
I have the 32" Thomastiks on my SFI. They are great.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
The TI 324s are what you want.

As noted above, 30" short scale strings will not fit.