RIP Larry Coryell

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
NPR and Billboard Magazine are reporting that he passed away in NYC last night.
Brad

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh man..... another one of my heroes gone way too soon.
I can't believe it. Last week it was Al Jarreau now Larry Coryell. Damn.

MLBob

Reaction score
There's a story about him getting so tired of people asking what kind of strings he used, that he started hanging a package label off his headstock.

Really cool video:
https://youtu.be/olO5b2f54vU

Bob

Last edited:

gilded

Reaction score
Never heard a bad word about Larry Coryell.

Hey, I have a Coryell/Clapton story for you guys. More Clapton than Coryell, but still.... I heard it in '72, from my old NYC guitar teacher, who used to hang with Larry (briefly), sometime in the early '70s/late '60s.

When Cream came to NYC in the late '60s to record with Producer Tom Dowd, Eric stayed at Coryell's place. Larry said that if Eric was just sitting on the couch playing, he sounded 'okay', but if you put him in a band situation, he would 'make' the band. He also said that Eric knew absolutely no Music Theory, as in 'None". When Larry figured that out, he said, "Hey, Eric, you want me to show you the Major Scale?" Eric thought about it for a few seconds and said, "Nah."

That's all I got, RIP

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
MLbob, I just saw that...bizzare guitar the looked like a D'angelico "Country Gentleman." Saw the stuff hanging off the headstock and thought it was a new guitar that was borrowed...

Last edited: