Acoustic Cleaner/Polish , what do you use ?

Ron from Texas

Reaction score
I use to have a bottle of polish for my old Guild D35NT . Came in a pump spray and I just used a piece of a old T-Shirt . However over the years it was nearly empty and now it's either been thrown away or misplaced . I understand some new guitars after 95' that car turtle wax can be used but since my guitar is 36 yrs old I don't want to use any car wax . I prefer a cleaner/polish that wont buildup and you just spray on and buff with a clothe . But since I can't find mine i'm just wondering what do you use now for cleaning/polishing your old acoustic ? I'm pretty sure the cleaner I had was Martin Guitar Polish in a white/blue pump bottle . But I can't find it . I have found Martin Polish but is it the same polish for older acoustics ??

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
With your D35 or any Nitro Finish Guitar you want to stay away from any polish or cleaner that contains silicone. The silicone will work it's way into the Nitro finish or wood in exposed areas and once it is in there it is impossible to get out. The Silicone will also make it very hard to repair or refinish any spots if you need work done on the guitar down the road.

The product I use on all of my Nitro guitars is Virtuoso Cleaner and Virtuoso Polish. You can normally get a bottle of each in a set for around $20 and it lasts a very long time. Only drawback for your situation is it is a rub on rub off setup, not a spray on finish.

TX

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Less is more. Guitar finishes don't need feeding or protecting much. They're pretty sturdy. Mostly I wipe down with a damp soft cotton cloth, and then buff dry with a soft, cotton dry cloth. A wipedown with water is a good thing. Just don't leave water or damp on the finish for long periods of time. Wipe and buff. On the RARE occasion that I use an actual product, I'm with TX and use the Virtuoso products. No silicone. Cleaner and polish is a good duo. But I hardly ever do that. On filthy, grimy, nasty guitars there are solvents (NAPTHA) that will clean and degrease without hurting the finish, but I don't think you're talking about that kind of cleaning.

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Less is more. Guitar finishes don't need feeding or protecting much. They're pretty sturdy. Mostly I wipe down with a damp soft cotton cloth, and then buff dry with a soft, cotton dry cloth. A wipedown with water is a good thing. Just don't leave water or damp on the finish for long periods of time. Wipe and buff. On the RARE occasion that I use an actual product, I'm with TX and use the Virtuoso products. No silicone. Cleaner and polish is a good duo. But I hardly ever do that. On filthy, grimy, nasty guitars there are solvents (NAPTHA) that will clean and degrease without hurting the finish, but I don't think you're talking about that kind of cleaning.

I fully agree with Tom.

Ron from Texas

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input on Virtuoso . I'll see if my local store has it , if not i'll order some . Thanks again !

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If you can't find it locally Ron which I couldn't down here in Houston, There is an ad on Reverb for the polish and cleaner together for right around $20. I think there is also a few listings on Ebay as well. Best of Luck.

TX