Something SO familiar...and yet...

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Yup! I've been doing regular searches of the web for the fabled bisonic'd Coronado bass, but the only ones i've ever seen come up for sale have the other single coil pickups (which I think we may have seen on a handful of guild basses too) and I think a few have had humbuckers too. I have seen photos of a few of the bisonic sporting ones though, so i know they're out there!

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
I'd bet that those six-pole-piece Bi-Sonic (or, should I say, "Magneto-Dynamic"?) p'ups are about as rare as they come nowadays.

So they were medium scale, I gather?

wileypickett

Reaction score
Made by Hagstrom in Sweden? Hagstrom also made some components for Guild electrics I believe. Van Ghent tuners, bridges, etc.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I'd bet that those six-pole-piece Bi-Sonic (or, should I say, "Magneto-Dynamic"?) p'ups are about as rare as they come nowadays.

I've got them both, though I removed the steel bars and god knows where they are. It seems like it's designed to challenge you to play around it. The 4-string with the real pickups is rare enough, but I've only "seen" 2 of the 6-strings, and I bought one.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Have read that the modular switching could be cranky and, as mgod confirmed above, those tug bars look like a nuisance. I'm perfectly happy with my Starfire as a Bi-Sonic platform, so wouldn't shell out the kind of cash these seem to bring.

I do think they are very interesting as an historical footnote, though.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
My VI looks just like that but doesn't have the Futurama logo on it. And my IV looks like the one above it.

Last edited:

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
"You can also use that bar as a towel rail :)"

Would also make a great pull-up bar for pumping up before those shirtless gigs.

That thing looks really minty, Uke!

Never having seen one "in the flesh", I wouldn't know, but the body looks very thin. Is it also light or does that I-beam in the neck make up the difference?

So the volume pot is a slider?

Those are the biggest scratchplate screws I've ever seen!

Thanks for posting the PIC!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
My VI looks just like that but doesn't have the Futurama logo on it. And my IV looks like the one above it.

4VIDBoFzKmXeM_wr98HcWyVzlyAzyXGddLeJ2ol1lOGUL2vxNua4Ds1j8YF349iuG8jMMm7Fp3MLK8g24HiPj5lQtYS3z6DtjWoETANjXdlw_fa4MAWrPUd5fuZX9QsiVbhf7dB4hAP0p4FNIVbg-1URwBRcPg9By3QBUgIIgdn7UniYkwrIRpsU2Gko-CPphHe9YQo8myWnguGsv0rnirs5dFdP07hnj-4U4uUxsJwN-ZvLxXy_K-rfVABbXU5nq-m15MZqT-FsPcBVXpooO31Y20l0ZuVdOhyJ3-fyZ7UwNFIJ8alhiFgQqPPQ_rpp7JlG9MyOhaQktKE6Ys6_b5eEBM2CzDB37HAF_98Yr6YTS4XW-CpJEIl8ID_BPgQshIpquPc0hF3vEUdaRbbx0_5Y3brQ5pgWllCoWern3zBktOEGiufUmcce60D7WX4lBq5SEHKYULlSSWg_STDsyu4yKuOsUPvHkQSchLxbXQegmNMNsDTXgUL-ZpAlBu0Mq_KxULCvV8CFMa53jfKWhVYE3hufet67kxKMFNAMT4hoQ9wwmWRFn_VZ6bpsl8xk88f9Nvhr-olLR0b9jdfJTVGnv86-NUauw3duRvwxlUjga6A8iLsF=w661-h372-no

ukulelelab

Reaction score
"You can also use that bar as a towel rail :)"

Would also make a great pull-up bar for pumping up before those shirtless gigs.

That thing looks really minty, Uke!

Never having seen one "in the flesh", I wouldn't know, but the body looks very thin. Is it also light or does that I-beam in the neck make up the difference?

So the volume pot is a slider?

Those are the biggest scratchplate screws I've ever seen!

Thanks for posting the PIC!

yes volume pot is a slider (hagstrom were producing accordions, suddenly changed directions in the late 50's to produce guitars, tried to re-use some of the rocker switches / controls they had in stock). Van ghent tuners, pickguard screws and rosewood slab thickness are a testament to over-engineering.