NEWBIE HELP! Early 70's f412 or mid 90's JF65-12

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Guys I'm new here. I sold all my gear a decade ago and am slowly building back up my arsenal. I had a Larrivee D-03-12R that I sold and regretted it.

I'm a 12 stringer by nature and played a couple Guilds and fell in love, especially with Maple tones. Condition wise, both guitars are in good shape. Some finish issues but nothing structural. Both sellers are asking $2,000.

Does the price seem off for one? Anything to look at with vintage vs modern construction methods? Were the 70's a bad decade for Guild like they were for Fenders and Gibsons?

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm a 12 stringer by nature and played a couple Guilds and fell in love, especially with Maple tones. Condition wise, both guitars are in good shape. Some finish issues but nothing structural. Both sellers are asking $2,000.

That's not a totally outrageous price, but if you shop around, you can probably do better. Ebay's completed listings show a like-new 2013 F412 went for $1750 (great price), and one from 2002 went for $1675.

Anything to look at with vintage vs modern construction methods? Were the 70's a bad decade for Guild like they were for Fenders and Gibsons?

No, Guild had no bad decades. Even through several changes of ownership, Guilds have maintained their excellence.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi GuitarJesus, and welcome to the forum! Also check out the New Hartford Guild (2014) Doyle Dykes maple 12 string acoustic electric. I tried the one at Jacobs Custom Guitars (Tom Jacobs is member here, a former Guild employee and highly regarded luthier, Guild autherized repair, dealer etc...) and that thing was quite the electrified beast. Dave Jacobs is also a member here and plays/owns his own Doyle Dykes Guilds. heres a link to their website. its not cheap, just letting u know of the instrument http://www.jacobscustomguitars.com/guitars-for-sale/

the guitars you listed are also fantastic for the used/vintage market. also you can add the JF-30-12 to the list of maple 12-string Guild Jumbos. Good luck!