Public Svc Advisory-Used Cars

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
OK, just when I think maybe I go overboard in my doomsday scenario warnings about artificial intelligence and the tyranny of high-tech, I come across something like this:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/17/technology/used-car-hack-safety-location/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

It might just be something more than one of you might want to know, because I loves my forum sisters and brothers.
Even the ones who play bass, wear Spandex, or use medium gauge strings on Westerly acoustics.
:friendly_wink:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I recently bought a used Audi from a dealer and the car was still hooked up to the original owner. Since it has its own SIM card for data I could have driven around for months with the original owner paying until the cancelled.

Additionally some of the other stuff was still hooked up to them. I went down to the dealership and started to give them a lesson on computerized cars and that's when I remembered that their office system is running Windows XP. The software they're using looks like Visual Basic.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
U-connect requires a PIN to access via app....

Sure, but in my case the car's VIN was tied to someone else which means that someone else knew where the car was and all the other goodies because only their app could read the car. I had to have the dealership transfer it to my Audi-Connect account.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Additionally some of the other stuff was still hooked up to them. I went down to the dealership and started to give them a lesson on computerized cars and that's when I remembered that their office system is running Windows XP. The software they're using looks like Visual Basic.
Whaddaya expect from an outfit that still sells gasoline powered front-wheel drive?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Whaddaya expect from an outfit that still sells gasoline powered front-wheel drive?

My car has Quattro, and don't get me started with electric cars again. :)

I will say though that the computer system in the Audi is atrocious.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My car has Quattro, and don't get me started with electric cars again. :)

To be fair I shoulda had a clue when competitor "T" announced updates to their product were being sent via satellite internet or Wi-Fi or whatever-the-h--l they use, and competitor "C" announced that its vehicles were susceptible to hacking last year.
My Milan's AWD but it still has the turning radius of a pregnant sow.
Transverse layout of FWD prevents optimizing of turn-in for best turning radius.
Even longitudinal layout's hamstrung by limitations of CV joints' range of travel.
Add a bit of torque steer which is inherent in any design transmitting torque to front wheels, no matter how well balanced. You're turning 'em into gyroscopes which want to remain in one axis by nature.
Those are my 2 primary objections to using the front wheels for traction and locomotion.
But I digress:
We're all doomed.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
To be fair I shoulda had a clue when competitor "T" announced updates to their product were being sent via satellite internet or Wi-Fi or whatever-the-h--l they use, and competitor "C" announced that its vehicles were susceptible to hacking last year.
My Milan's AWD but it still has the turning radius of a pregnant sow.
Transverse layout of FWD prevents optimizing of turn-in for best turning radius. Even longitudinal's layout's hamstrung by limitations of CV joints' range of travel.
Add a bit of torque steer which is inherent in any design transmitting torque to front wheels, no matter how well balanced. You're turning 'em into gyroscopes which want to remain in one axis by nature.
Those are my 2 primary objections to using the front wheels for traction and locomotion.
But I digress:
We're all doomed.

I just hate the way FWD does everything and always have. Especially Honda/Acuras. But then, I grew up driving in the '80s with a RWD '78 280-Z that was more fun than an 18yo me should have been allowed to have.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
But then, I grew up driving in the '80s with a RWD '78 280-Z that was more fun than an 18yo me should have been allowed to have.
And we're we're all gonna have to pay for the indiscretions of your youth.
We're doomed.

Neal

Reaction score
Two things:

1. I drive old cars with none of this crap on them I win!

2. If domesday is approaching, I suggest you prepare by shipping all of your Guilds to me, since I will be unaffected.