Response from Kim Walker

MLBob

Reaction score
Back in January, I was looking around on Kim Walker's website (amazing guitars!) and recalled information about his role in the production of the Guild Studio 24 acoustic. On a whim I sent him the following note with some pictures of the one I have:

"Kim,
I was just looking around on your website, and thought you might like to see this picture of a Guild that I had the good fortune to find and purchase a few years back. I believe you had something to do with the design & production of this guitar when you were at Guild. Not too many were made.

Just wanted you to know that this one (#12 of about 30) is still being used and enjoyed pretty much every day. Now equipped with a K&K Double helix and Pure mini for when I get to play out."

I had pretty much forgotten about doing this, but today I received this unexpected response. Thought it would be of interest to folks - and especially Hans:

Hi Bob,

I tagged this note meaning to get back to you about how cool I think this is! Yes, I refined the design work and made the original prototype, which George Gruhn still has. It was George's idea to make a 335-ish flattop and I made it reality. The sides are the shape of the Guild Firebird. The headstock shape is inspired by the early Gibson L-5s, George's favorite. It's very likely more rare than the 30 serial numbers would indicate. There were problems in the manufacturing and some of those never made it out of the factory. So, cool!

Kim

I had read the 30 guitar run estimate in a number of places, and (other than the Gruhn prototype) have only ever seen 4 others anywhere on the net (including two others on this forum), but Kim's response regarding manufacturing problems sheds more light on why this may be so.

Bob

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, I'd say that is very cool. Also good on Kim Walker for taking the time to respond to your note. I don't think I've ever seen a pic of one of these. I'll have to take a look around the net and see what's out there. Thanks for sharing.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When we had our Nashville get together, we got to see Gruhn's prototype in his inner sanctum.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's cool! But "the sides are the shape of a Guild Firebird" intrigues me. A typo?

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That's cool! But "the sides are the shape of a Guild Firebird" intrigues me. A typo?

walrus

firebird-5.JPG

http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/firebird.html

B-u-u-t....that's a post '97 model, long after Kim left.
I'm sure he meant "Starfire" since that's what I always thought they were based on, going by body outline, like he said:

studio24-1.jpg

http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/studio24.html

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's Awesome MLBob! What a cool guitar and what a great piece of Guild History.

TX

MLBob

Reaction score

walrus

That statement also made me think he meant Starfire. The three Firebird Disney acoustics came out of the Nashville custom shop - Curly maple sides & back, ebony bridges & fretboards as well. Both Studio 24 & Firebird have 25 5/8 scale length, but as noted the Firebirds came later on under Fender ownership. Maybe I'll respond to his note and ask if Starfire was what he meant.

Bob

MLBob

Reaction score
Grot's & John Kidder's 24's are the two I referred to as the ones I had seen on LTG. The other two were one that was for sale in the UK a few years back (at a ridiculous price), and one in an old you tube video posted by someone who was gigging with it.

Here are pics of the one I located & subsequently purchased from someone in Washington State:

Studio_zpszgdk2dft.jpg
Studio24%20003_zpsflyijphv.jpg

Last edited:

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Nice Photos! And Nice Guitar! It has the "slotted diamond" inlays that always get a :encouragement: from me. And I like the "mandolin" curve at the end of the fretboard.

sailingshoes

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thought it would be of interest to folks - and especially Hans:

Hi Bob,

I tagged this note meaning to get back to you about how cool I think this is! Yes, I refined the design work and made the original prototype, which George Gruhn still has. It was George's idea to make a 335-ish flattop and I made it reality. The sides are the shape of the Guild Firebird. The headstock shape is inspired by the early Gibson L-5s, George's favorite. It's very likely more rare than the 30 serial numbers would indicate. There were problems in the manufacturing and some of those never made it out of the factory. So, cool!

Kim

I had read the 30 guitar run estimate in a number of places, and (other than the Gruhn prototype) have only ever seen 4 others anywhere on the net (including two others on this forum), but Kim's response regarding manufacturing problems sheds more light on why this may be so.

Bob

Hello Bob,

Nothing really new to me Bob! Kim is a good friend of mine and has been ever since he moved to Nashville to work at Gruhn's during the early '80s.
He's one of the better makers in that segment of the guitar world and I'm very lucky to own a couple of his instruments.

His place is one of the few where I usually crash when I'm in the neighborhood and there's a lot that we discussed during the many visits I made to the factory while he worked there and after that, when he went on to work for himself.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

MLBob

Reaction score
Sent Kim a note last night and asked if he meant "Starfire"
Got this reply today:

Bob,

Oops… Brain Fart! Yes, definitely a Starfire.

Kim

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Man, I really like that double cut look. Purely aesthetic since I never play that far up the board anyway but I think it's way cool.