How many D35NT owners here ?

Ron from Texas

Reaction score
New member here , just registered today . Been away from playing for over 25 yrs now . A friend at work got my interest back up and right now just mostly reading topics here and seeing what everyone is posting . I bought a Guild D35N back around 1978 new with hard shell case , 6-string . It was a beauty of a guitar back then and still looks very nice however the top has started darkening some . I mainly only played country back in those days and a little gospel . But went through a divorce and some hard times but never gave up the Guild . My Guild has been packed away for a long time but as i said interest made me take it back out and mess with it some . Have forgotten most all i knew way back when but still remember most cords but i never did play very good anyway and never in front of a crowd . Just a home body . My favorite musician and still is Willie Nelson with Trigger .

As far as my Guild right now i just had to put a new nut and strings on it and noticed the action was really high . Got to checking things closer and the bridge seems to be starting to lift up in the rear . Took some thin paper and could slide a small part under the bridge in the rear so i decided before messing with nut adjustments or truss rod i'd take it to a local repair shop and see about getting the bridge repaired first and while in there let them reset the action for me . I use to always have a hard time with fingers hurting . Never really understood about getting the action adjusted until lately cause i was doing alot of Youtube searching and found a few places that repaired guitars and had videos showing how to repair but i thought it best with my experience that i let the pros do that for me ;) .

Like i said , no expert here , just like messing with the old Guild far and few times in between but was just wondering if and how many D35N owners here . When i bought my Guild new the original Guild company was in business but now i understand a new group took over and started a new company . I emailed them and asked when exactly mine was made with the serial # i gave them but they said records were lost back then so all they had were new listings . Prices are sure alot more now than what they were back in the 70s' as i remember . I paid quite alot for mine . Not sure if it's worth close to that or not now . I know i've been the only player and owner since it was new . I was a bit stingy with letting anyone play my Guild . SO if i got any dings there are not noticeable . Only thing noticeable is up around the nut slot where i have a small chip in the finish . Other than that she's cherry .

I'll be checking back in later to see if anyone replies . Have a great day all !

Ron

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. New members have their first few posts moderated, so they will sit in a queue until a mod approves it. It keeps LTG almost SPAM free.

The Guild guitar brand has been a subsidiary of several companies over the past 60 years. As a result records have been lost or destroyed and the current owners don't always know or understand the history. Guild was owned by the Fender Musical Instrument Group since the late 1990's and then sold to Cordoba Music Group within the past few years. Both Fender and Cordoba have been reported as not really having much data on anything Guild did before 1995.

All is not lost, however. The serial number chart here is generally right except when it is wrong. That is still useful since most of the mistakes are typos or just missing information, rather than incorrect information.

The Guild Guitar Book
contains a more accurate and complete version of the chart as part of its coverage of the company from the 1950's through the late 1970's. The author, Hans Moust, is active on LTG and responds to questions so between Hans and the rest of us you will get the history.

Feel free to post pictures. See here for instructions because posting is not as simple of sharing from your cell phone ;-)

Lots of Guilds in Texas. You might even stumble across a neighbor here.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
New member here , just registered today . Been away from playing for over 25 yrs now . A friend at work got my interest back up and right now just mostly reading topics here and seeing what everyone is posting . I bought a Guild D35N back around 1978 new with hard shell case , 6-string .

Hello Ron,

Welcome! A Guild with the D-35N model designation would be somewhat unusual. I'm not saying it's impossible, but the usual suffix for a guitar with a natural top would be NT. Maybe you have something different altogether?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Ron from Texas

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome , after I didn't see my first post I made another but hopefully the second was deleted . I forgot some forums do hold a couple post for security reason . Sad it's hard work to moderate a forum and keeping out spammers . Seen that before and really disappoints to see when they manage a break-in .

I will get a few Picts today if I can and upload when I have time . You maybe right about it being a NT . I'll recheck the serial number and see . I'll be taking it in later today for work on the bridge and action . With time I could probably fix the action but not equiped to work on the bridge .

As I mentioned , I'm real rusty big time . Plus I have other interest besides working but i'll enjoy my Guild when it's fixed . Got alot to relearn and it's been a long time :( . I'll post pictures when I can . Have a great day !

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG! I started with a D-35 back in 1973... still have it, still play it! Enjoy!

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG!
My first Guild was a brand new 1975 D35 and I currently own a 1975 D35. Though it's not the same guitar, I still feel as though I've come full circle.
Interestingly enough, I was just about to post how great this guitar sounds, especially so after a Super Bowl Sunday cleaning and string change.
This is my fourth D35 and I think they just might be unappreciated. Too plain? Not enough bling? Who knows?

Keep us posted on any new developments, :smile-new:
Joe

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Much love for D-35's around here. Check signatures on posts and you'll see LOTS of them. I really like mine - there's a warmth and clarity to it that a lot of other guitars don't have.

Ron from Texas

Reaction score
OK , my bad :( , it is a D35NT . Sorry ,should have checked before posting . Got some Picts and will upload later . Don't use my phone for uploads , computer only . Moderator if you can w
Will you add a T to my topic model# ? Thanks !

Neal

Reaction score
Same here. I bought my '73 D-35 while in high school, and I have managed to hang onto it for over 40 years.

It has been through heck and looks like it, and even though I have "better" guitars, my D-35 will never be for sale at any price.

Ron from Texas

Reaction score
Gosh , thanks again for those warm welcomes ! As I said I'm no expert and I never played very well cause I only had a couple friends that played but what I know very little of was self taught from a big stack of books and music sheets from singers I liked way back when . Never could pick good , just mainly a rythm player and not very good . Never seem to have enough time with it and first wife ......Let's just say that was a mistake . But if my wife now doesn't get bothered maybe I can learn back a little I knew .

Ron from Texas

Reaction score
Back again , got my guitar images uploaded to my Flickr page : https://www.flickr.com/photos/ronlhodges/albums/72157676649244083 , however if you prefer I can just post the BBC code here so that the image shows up if you prefer to look here and not on my Flickr page . Just let me know what is appropriate . I prefer not to actually upload my images to any forum for security purposes . Just let me know what you prefer . Thanks for looking ! BTW got my Guild to the Guitar shop locally but the repairman was not in so I left if and hope to have it back by next week . They did notice a slight hump behind the bridge and that the neck did have a slight upward bend which the neck Truss rod might fix . I also asked if they would adjust the action height . I'll be checking back in later . Thanks !

Ron

Br1ck

Reaction score
I have a 70 D 35, a very balanced dread. I got it cheap because it needed a ton of work. After the work, not so cheap but very worth it.

Ron from Texas

Reaction score
All is not lost, however. The serial number chart here is generally right except when it is wrong. That is still useful since most of the mistakes are typos or just missing information, rather than incorrect information.

According to the serial# chart my Guild must have been made in 1981 . I thought it was earlier but since I can't find my original receipt yet i'll have to go with 1981 . Thanks for the links !

Ron

Ron from Texas

Reaction score
I have a 70 D 35, a very balanced dread. I got it cheap because it needed a ton of work. After the work, not so cheap but very worth it.

I had several other guitars before I bought my Guild . I had a 12 string Alvarez and a Takamine 6 string electric acoustic that was very nice but sold those and chose to keep the Guild .

Last edited:

Ron from Texas

Reaction score
Great pics of your D35.
*Hope you cut those string ends soon....those could do some serious damage. :eek-new:

Joe

Wow, that's a beautiful D-35, Ron! Thanks for linking to the photos. Good luck with the repairs. Welcome to LTG!! :encouragement:

Thanks for the welcome and comments Joe and Tom ! Joe those strings will be cut for sure , just waiting until they fix the action and bridge . Thanks for looking at my pics , First time I've took pics of the Guild .