What a Super Bowl!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I of course, being a true Boston fan since 1967, gave up on my team several times during the contest. Spent many minutes outside cooling off, pathetically sulking, inconsolable...
Even though I was rooting for Falcons (always love the underdogs), when it hit 28-9 I found myself remembering Vince Lombardi's immortal words:
"It ain't over 'til it's over".
And by golly that one proved it.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Rumor is they are re-working Bray's contract, push it out 3-5 more years. Question is what NFC team will be playing them in next year's SB?

griehund

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Falcons again. They're really good, very young and well coached.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Falcons again. They're really good, very young and well coached.

If they were well-coached, they would have won. Field goal to put the game away, on the 23 yard line, all they had to do was take a knee three times! But they called 3 pass plays in a row and got pushed back out of field goal range...

Quinn's OK, I guess, but the NFL definitely has a coaching problem. Most refuse to make any half-time adjustments (another example is Tomlin in the AFC Championship). The Falcons, up by 25, did not manage the clock at all - they needed to run, run run - no passing! Use up time! Hike the ball with 1 second left on the play clock on every snap! etc. etc. They let the Pats back in the game by giving them plenty of time - a big mistake!

For the Falcons to return to the Super Bowl - I agree they are extremely talented - they need Quinn to take charge of the offense and whoever replaces Shanahan has to keep the same plays and system. They can't allow a new offensive coordinator to put a new system in place - they are an offensive powerhouse that needs to be left alone.

walrus

NEONMOONY

Reaction score
they are going for Gorpollo. cutting Cutler :)
Actually, there appears to be several teams, including the Bears, interested in Garopollo.
whoever replaces Shanahan has to keep the same plays
Nobody in the NFL does that. Playbooks are constantly changed or a team would be a sitting duck. Martellus Bennett (former Bear) said your Patriots change about 12 plays every week.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
They change plays within the overall system, of course. But they have had years of consistency with Belichick and Brady and only 3 offensive coordinators. That is unheard of in the NFL today.

22 different coaches in the AFC East since Bill took over in New England. Just the AFC East!!

walrus

NEONMOONY

Reaction score
Belichick is a monster Hall of Famer. Consistency has been exceptional there, no doubt. He also has ability that coaches like Gibbs and Shula had to adapt to different players he could acquire. Getting to the top is easier than staying there after a few years of success gives them lousy draft picks. Belichick has an amazing eye for talent. Something you need when you pick near last, or nearly last, every year.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm not a real Pats fan although I certainly respect all they've done. They are awfully impressive. I am a Belichick fan though. He's just a grumpy hard-assed SOB that doesn't kow tow to anyone, does things his own way and doesn't get all full of himself and caught up in either all the criticisms or praise. Something to be said for all that I think.

CA-35

Reaction score
........and whoever replaces Shanahan.....walrus

Kyle Shanahan is being replaced by Steve Sarkisian who was the head coach at USC until he got fired for having an alcohol problem (dont we all!) then he replaced Lane Kiffen as offensive coordinator at Alabama for about 3 minutes until he had enough of Sabans puritanical bullschnit.

Sark is a great offensive coordinator he will do fine. Quinn is the problem at Atlanta. Worst second half of coaching and play calling I've ever seen, Matt Ryan deserves all the credit for the great season they had and Quinn should be fired immediately if not sooner.