Any others brands with their name on Bigsby?

Jerry1

Reaction score
I have a Guild with a Guild labeled Bigsby on it, but for some time I've wondered why other brands don't have their name on their Bigsby produced vibrato?
There must be a story behind this, but I've never heard it discussed in my circles. So, what's the answer? Thanks.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Gretsch of course, and in the 60's Hagström too. And Martin electric semi hollowbodies with a Bigsby came with a Bigsby with a stylized "M" cutout.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have a Guild with a Guild labeled Bigsby on it, but for some time I've wondered why other brands don't have their name on their Bigsby produced vibrato?
There must be a story behind this, but I've never heard it discussed in my circles. So, what's the answer? Thanks.

Hello Jerry1,

Welcome! Well, I can tell you that Guild had to order 2000 units, to get Bigsby to produce the Guild branded units.

One version that Walter didn't mention was the Kay version and even though I've never heard any confirmation that these were actually made by Bigsby, I cannot imagine that these were made by someone else.

By the way, these units don't carry the Kay name!

KayBigsby_1.jpg

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

Jerry1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. As soon as I read Gretsch that image popped into my head, but Martin and probably Kay, I didn't know that. BTW, the more I research guitar history, the more intriguing it is. The Kay brand for example. Most people associate Kay with one of the many cheaper guitars they made. But I've got an early K22 from the late 40's to early 50's that's a fantastic instrument. It's been around that's for sure, but with a lower bout of 4" x 17" it sounds just great. It's one of a few guitars that will be with me to the end, especially because I got it from a good friend/cousin.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Some of the top mount Bigsby trems that were mounted on Fender Teles and such have a "F" for Fender instead of the usual "B" for Bigsby in the center of the top as well.

TX

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Haha, me too, and I used to have one even! Always wondered whether those Kay ones were Bigsby made Hans.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The vibrato on the SG below is a Bigsby-made, Gibson-branded one:

E3A0EB67-1544-4EA8-A7A7-03AEB0288292_zpslvbmlnhm.jpg

It's a bit lighter in construction than a B5 but still solidly made. Gibson probably wanted something less expensive, as they were operating in early '70s cost-cutting mode. (The guitar is a killer, BTW!)

-Dave-

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Gibson, of course! There's one other Gibson branded variation that I've only seen in pictures, and it seems like it only appeared on the short lived Les Paul Personal, a Gibson branded, shorter version of the B7 vibrato.

Gibby-1969-les-paul-personal.jpg

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Always wondered whether those Kay ones were Bigsby made Hans.

KayBigsby_1.jpg

Yes, I thought about that too. The specific manufacturing technology was such that it would not be all that hard to produce a copy. However I would think that since the Bigsby design was patented, it would not be logical for a company located within the U.S.A. to manufacture and market something that worked on exactly the same principle and with only a few cosmetic differences.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
My particular Kay Jazz II has a standard Bigsby-branded B6 along with an aluminum Bigsby bridge. It's a late model Kay, from shortly before they merged with Valco (soon followed by the whole thing going under). Great pickups, quality hardware overall, awful neck. I should contact Roger Fritz, the guy behind the revived (sorta) Kay stuff, and see if he could make me a replacement neck. :)

-Dave-