Atypical 1972 D35?

zeboma

Reaction score
Hi gang~~ Back into Guild world, looking for a secondary (hog) (My primary is now an extraordinary Froggy that had me selling my D55)

Curious about this CL posting. Have read reallly great things about vintage D35s, but all the pics I've seen of them have a different headstock than this one (no "Guild" on this one) and it also looks like serial # isn't stamped on the back of headstock like usual. Anybody know what might be up here? (And yes, he says it has had a neck reset)

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/msg/5981189757.html

Thanks!

Neal

Reaction score
Looks like a legit D-35 that was completely sanded down and refinished. I did something similar to an '81 D-35.

The sanding would have taken off the water slide Guild logo on the headstock, which was evidently replaced with that inlay. What I find puzzling is that the back of the headstock was sanded aggressively enough to remove the serial number.

The tuners are not the original "three on a plate" found on my '73 D-35. Whomever reset the neck evidently sawed through the heel to do so.

I think $800 is too high a price to pay for a D-35 that has lost its original finish. There are many finer examples of old D-35's out there, IMO.

wileypickett

Reaction score
Hmmm.

IMO, the neck was reset crudely and a new headstock overlay added.

I've seen similar headstock inlay patterns on a number of old Framus and Hofner guitars.

Whatever happened, it looks like the neck was sanded and refinished, which is why the serial number is no longer visible. But even when the area around the serial number is sanded and filled with lacquer, you can usually still see the number by turning the headstock this way and that in the light.

You might be able to tell more if you see it person. If the seller is the original owner, he or she should be able to tell you more about its history.

Crude as the repair is, it might be solid and functional. But at that price, I'd be little wary.

Also it looks like, in spite of the reset, the action is high.

Good luck!

Last edited:

zeboma

Reaction score
I believe he is the original owner, and I should be able to give it a try today or tomorrow. Because I'm all set in the fancy-guitar dept now, all I care about here is that I got a good, old, hoggy kinda sound and I couldn't care less about cosmetics, so long as the fundamentals are sound. That he put Gotohs on there could be a good sign.....

zeboma

Reaction score
Well, I just tried it out. He's not the original owner, but had it 15 years. It does have a serial # on headstock (66356). It has a really sweet tone, liked a lot. It does NOT, however, have a 14th fret! Is that because of the saw-job perhaps? Would that be fixable, or is that the price you pay for sawing the neck off?! It still has some saddle left, but not too much, and the action is on the high side, but tolerable. I didn't have a good straight edge, but my eyeball tells me it would have come if well below the top of the saddle.

Depending what you all say, I might consider offering him say $500 for it. It had a heckuva tone and could suit my needs well

Neal

Reaction score
I would only offer $500 if you are prepared to buy and hold on to it for a long time. I doubt you could get all of your money back at that price, should you decide to move it along at a later date.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
zeboma;1751768It does NOT said:
The missing 14th fret may be a result of the "crudely" done neck reset. A repair person would remove the fret, drill two small holes and then inject steam into the neck joint to loosen the glue in the joint. (Note: this is usually done to the 15th fret on a dreadnought guitar). Guild guitars can sometimes be stubborn during the process of a neck reset... but sawing the heel in half to free it from the neck-block is very unprofessional! I do not have an opinion on the $ value of this instrument.

sailingshoes

zeboma

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to pass on it. No hurry. It's kind of liberating not caring about cosmetics etc or going high-end per se: I just want character, age, good dry sound and lots of mojo. This had all that, but........! I never even knew about D35s before...may continue on the hunt for another of 'em

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
I am quite fond of them! My first Guild was a '73 D-35 that I bought used in 1975 from Chuck Levins Music. I have carted it around for 42 years now.

The late Hoboken (67-69) and early Westerly ('70-'74) D-35's are lightly built and very responsive. Consequently, I have never seen one that old without neck angle/bellying issues, unless the neck has been reset, so be aware.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, I'm going to pass on it. No hurry. It's kind of liberating not caring about cosmetics etc or going high-end per se: I just want character, age, good dry sound and lots of mojo. This had all that, but........! I never even knew about D35s before...may continue on the hunt for another of 'em

I think that's wise. A reset like that shows a lack of concern about getting the job done right, and that's much more than a "cosmetics" issue.

You've got a pretty broad choice of instruments if you're gunning for a mahogany dreadnought: D-35, D-6, D-40, even a D-4. I got both my D-6 and D=35 for several hundred $ less than the asking price for that hacked-up D-35. Your patience waiting for the right deal will be rewarded.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Isn't DRC selling a nice mahogany guitar in the For Sale section ? Yes, It's a D-25 instead of D-35, but we know it's condition.